Tom's just trying to catch the mouse he was told to catch
55 57%
**** em both,
18 19%
Tom and Jerry?
2 2%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
So, I have this theory in the works, and while it seems to be pretty agreeable among the people I've mentioned it to in person, I want to hear what other people think.

Basically, a couple of years ago I noticed that when it comes to watching Tom and Jerry, as you get older you start to change sides. What was once the hilarious antics of a mouse outwitting a mean/evil cat slowly morphs into the story of a cat who's just trying to do what cats do while this mouse makes him wreck up the house and taunts him.

In short, I've found that older people sympathize with tom instead of rooting for Jerry.

How about you?
I agree.

Strangely enough, my brothers and I were recently discussing the same thing. Weird.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've liked both and sympathized with them equally in my lifetime.

Plus, I've always been more of a Spike person:

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I always sympathized with Tom. I don't really see how you can't. Everybody gives him shit.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Ichikurosaki
the only thing i ever took note of is that toms owner is probably a gorrila

That's racist!
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Can't stand the show, personally. I'm more of a classic looney tunes kind of guy.
ggg1 ggg3

I always wanted Tom to catch Jerry. I remember when I was really little, that episode where Tom got guillotined for not catching Jerry made me cry.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Anyone who's owned a cat knows that you can't 'tell it' to catch anything. Your theory is wrong.
Poor Tom. Always getting his plans thwarted my Jerry.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I've always been a Tom person. Even when I was a kid I wanted to see an episode where Tom actually gets that damn mouse. I think one of the newer episodes ended with Tom chasing and beating Jerry into the sunset but I think we can all agree that any non-classic episode is crap anyway.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Anyone who's owned a cat knows that you can't 'tell it' to catch anything. Your theory is wrong.

Anyone who's actually watched the the cartoon remembers that a lot of the earlier ones do in fact have Tom's owner (tbf of the time, probably the owner's maid) telling him to catch the mouse that's all up in the kitchen stealing food.

These episode usually end with Tom getting beaten/kicked out by a human for not doing what he's supposed to do.

Your post is wrong.
Quote by Mack56
Anyone who's actually watched the the cartoon remembers that a lot of the earlier ones do in fact have Tom's owner (tbf of the time, probably the owner's maid) telling him to catch the mouse that's all up in the kitchen stealing food.

These episode usually end with Tom getting beaten/kicked out by a human for not doing what he's supposed to do.

Your post is wrong.

I don't remember that. There was a somewhat racist portrayal of a black woman who used to hit him with a broom etc.
Quote by darkstar2466
I've liked both and sympathized with them equally in my lifetime.

Plus, I've always been more of a Spike person:

This.

Though if I had to choose it'd probably be Jerry.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Well, you could argue that Tom represents the elements of the working-class which are used by the capitalist state (the domineering housekeeper, portrayed as black and female in order to disguise the message of the cartoon), to remove undesirables such as Jerry, with his obvious Jewish characteristics and his homosexuality.
Quote by Kumanji
Well, you could argue that Tom represents the elements of the working-class which are used by the capitalist state (the domineering housekeeper, portrayed as black and female in order to disguise the message of the cartoon), to remove undesirables such as Jerry, with his obvious Jewish characteristics and his homosexuality.
You're thinking too hard.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Kumanji

Not sure if serious or just poking fun at reputation...
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Kumanji

I hope you are not serious
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Kumanji

Thank you for finally saying what we're all thinking.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Kumanji

I believe this is the official party line of the SWP.
Thomaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssss!!
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I don't remember that. There was a somewhat racist portrayal of a black woman who used to hit him with a broom etc.

why i said owner's maid. I was originally gonna say something about how racist the portrayal was but i thought it went without saying.

But yeah, episodes with her would usually start with her seeing jerry and being all like

"OH LAWDY THERE'S A MOUSE! TOM, GET IT!"
I was always rooting for Tom.
Jerry is always starting trouble and Tom has to go catch him. Whenever Jerry wasn't around, Tom was usually asleep. He is not evil, he's just always being pestered by Jerry.
I liked the episode where they had to cooperate.

Like the one where they had to take care of the baby.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Fuck Tom.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Guitar0player
I liked the episode where they had to cooperate.

Like the one where they had to take care of the baby.

Speaking of Jewish characteristics and homosexuality...

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Mack56

Your post is wrong.

There was an episode where tom and jerry were in revolutionary era france. Tom was ordered to catch jerry and when he failed to do he was sent to the guillotine. That was messed up. Jerry is a little prick
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Speaking of Jewish characteristics and homosexuality...

If I am correct one of them is Jewish, And I think that they did have some sort of homosexual relationship.

So yeah, they are gay and Jewish, if one of them decided to marry the other in a traditional Jewish wedding.

Tom and Jerry, gay and Jewish, everything Bugs Bunny had to be.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Oct 29, 2011,
Everybody shits on Tom all the fucking time, Jerry's an asshole.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I'm a big cat person, I always kind of felt sorry for Tom.

Obviously back when I watched it very often (it was probably one of my most watched shows as a kid, despite not liking it as much as stuff like Top Cat and the Pink Panther, probably cos the cat loses in it! ) I just saw it as a "Cat vs Mouse, none of them dies so they both win" kinda thing.
But yeah, thinking about it, Tom getting scolded all the time for trying to catch a mouse, as per instinct is pretty shitty.
So I see I wasn't the only child traumatised by Jerry sending Tom to the guillotine, and nobody's mentioned it, but I'm pretty certain I saw an episode that ended with both of them sitting on a set of train tracks and crying, not joking at all.

On a related note, anyone else here believe that the reason his traps get so crazy and over the top is because Wiley Coyote is really just going insane from starvation?
Page 1 of 2