Page 1 of 3
Before a flame war starts, I just want to know what people think.

Now personally, I'm not too keen on it when you get artists who are all about vocals (Famous pop artists, not necessarily a band) and they use auto tune because it kind of defeats the purpose.

However, I can't sing, but I can play bass, drums, keyboard and guitar and I make my own instrumentals and for someone who can't sing getting a vocal effects processor seems a good deal, but I wouldn't be selling the music, just making it for the hell of it.

What do you guys think about auto tune then?
I honestly think it sounds like someone is shitting in my ear when I hear autotune.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I honestly think it sounds like someone is shitting in my ear when I hear autotune.

What about a soft tone, where it doesn't sound like T-Pain?
I prefer melodyne

Pretty much every signed band will have a degree of pitch correction on the vocals, especially backing ones so you can hardly avoid it. Most of that is down to the engineer and the producer talking among themselves. It's good for making you sound good. And it's good as an effect rather than a plug in, for certain styles of music. T-Pain has made it his signature sound.
It's okay as a tool to edit very small errors. But when people use it because they can't sing, then I hate it. It shouldn't be relied on.
It is a useful tool to save a band time and money in the studio, but it can also be abused and used to 'fix' a singer's bad pitch. What I find funny is how many dumbass kids complain about autotune, but half of the bands they listen to use it and they don't even realize that.

Edit: Another thing I find amusing is when kids complain about autotune, but at the same time they claim to care nothing about technicality and only about how the music sounds when they listen to it. lolirony
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 29, 2011,
Avenged Sevenfold used it as an effect. It sounded good.

Usually it sucks ass though, (supposedly) covering up the fact that the singer sucks.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
*Begins Rant*
Everything in the pop charts is auto-tuned these days which is why I don't listen to it. Zero talent involved in using a computer to do it for you.

In your situation TS I have no issue, as you're clearly a good musician who wants to make music. What I don't like is the way modern pop is all about posing nowadays.

*End rant*
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Last edited by Ibanez734 at Oct 29, 2011,
It's cheating.

How do you feel about recording a guitar lick under tempo, and then speeding it up on the record because you can't play it full speed? To me, I think the two are the same thing. It is using technology to mask the lack of ability.
Quote by Ibanez734
*Begins Rant*
Everything in the charts is auto-tuned these days which is why I don't listen to it. Zero talent involved in using a computer to do it for you.

In your situation TS I have no issue, as you're clearly a good musician who wants to make music. What I don't like is the way modern pop is all about posing nowadays.

*End rant*

I think I agree with this, the music I would use would just be for the internet most likely.
Auto-tune>out-of-tune
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
when it's used for one little part as an effect, not what you rely on the whole song.

None of the bands I listen to use it at all, so I don't really care, if people DO use it, when I hear it, it just proves to me if they rely on it 100% they just suck.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
Auto-tune>out-of-tune

Operation Ivy.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I dislike auto tune, i like to hear the singer how they'd sound singing right there. I'm glad my favourite singers don't need or use auto tune.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPMEoZzuoT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drEFOaPaK8
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Ibanez734
*Begins Rant*
Everything in the charts is auto-tuned these days which is why I don't listen to it. Zero talent involved in using a computer to do it for you.

*End rant*

I would agree that most things in the pop charts use, if not rely on auto-tune. Saying everything is bullshit. That's why Lady Gaga has got so big. Because she can actually sing and to a very decent standard, instead of just a bit better than the rest.
autotune is pretty cool. i wish i had autotune software. that would be sweet. yeah.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
autotune is pretty cool. i wish i had autotune software. that would be sweet. yeah.

I wouldn't be using software I don't think, I was looking at a Boss VE-20 Vocal pedal
Quote by AJScott
That just hurt.

That's the heart being ripped out saddness feeling we all get the first time we hear Runaway. It's cool, bro.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I would agree that most things in the pop charts use, if not rely on auto-tune. Saying everything is bullshit. That's why Lady Gaga has got so big. Because she can actually sing and to a very decent standard, instead of just a bit better than the rest.

Whoops I meant the pop charts...I'll go change that now.

And yeah...I don't mind Gaga as she writes all her own songs and actually can sing rather than just being a poser.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Ibanez734
Whoops I meant the pop charts...I'll go change that now.

And yeah...I don't mind Gaga as she writes all her own songs and actually can sing rather than just being a poser.

1. No she doesn't
2. Find me a pop singer who can't sing
I used to think autotune was for talentless hacks, but now I don't give a shit as long as the result is good. Of course, for the result to be good you have to actually know what you're doing, so if you use it your music probably sucks anyway. (Not you you, they you)

I'm thinking of using it myself if I ever write songs instead of instrumentals, but I'm content without it for now.

Also, Cynic. That counts, right?
Quote by StewieSwan
1. No she doesn't

Found one.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by StewieSwan
1. No she doesn't

1. Errm as far as I'm aware yes she does.
2. Ke$ha.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by WizMystery

That was easy.

Rappers don't count.

Quote by Ibanez734
1. Errm as far as I'm aware yes she does.
2. Ke$ha.

1. You're just saying that because other people say it. Try reading the credits on her albums.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uabf0uHICW4
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by WizMystery
I used to think autotune was for talentless hacks, but now I don't give a shit as long as the result is good. Of course, for the result to be good you have to actually know what you're doing, so if you use it your music probably sucks anyway. (Not you you, they you)

I'm thinking of using it myself if I ever write songs instead of instrumentals, but I'm content without it for now.

Also, Cynic. That counts, right?

End justifies the means. I can get on board with that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
End justifies the means. I can get on board with that.

Actually, I agree with this.

On a CD you just want something that sounds good. Integrity don't have much groove.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Page 1 of 3