been playing for 8 months now and looking for a second guitar(current one i have is epiphone les paul studio). looking for a mid-range guitar, for mostly metal, like technical death metal, groove metal etc. i really got used to the fat les paul neck, so i'm not looking for a slim neck, i'm looking for pickups that would do good clean and good distortion, i thought about floyd rose and i do want to have it.. i haven't experienced with alot of guitars before, only ibanez and jackson and stuff, what's your opinions about ESP? thanks!
Last edited by RIP-Dimebag at Oct 29, 2011,
Budget, current amp, willing to go used?

Answer those and we'll be able to help a lil more

I'd say perhaps look at PRS guitars and yhh ESP would be worth looking at too
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
ESP is a great brand for budget players.
But before anyone can really help you we really do need to know what your budget is and if you would go used, or buy online.
haha i forgot to write those, my budget is 750$ and my current amp is ibanez TBX65R, and no i'm not looking for used guitars, i may buy online
i did liked how LTD and ESP sounds, only thing left is to play it myself, i never played an ESP/LTD. so how's the neck? is it comfortable?
i also thought about that, alot of people told me to check out schecter, i really liked how the hellraiser sounds, haven't got to play it yet. as i said before i haven't experienced with alot of guitars before, and so as schecter...
Last edited by RIP-Dimebag at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by epiphone316
You should look into schecter. They're very underated.

Wait wait wait you said Schecter is UNDERRATED? You're kidding, right?

Anyway I'd look into a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser or C-1 Blackjack ATX.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Wait wait wait you said Schecter is UNDERRATED? You're kidding, right?

Anyway I'd look into a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser or C-1 Blackjack ATX.

there is no nearby store that sells schecter in my country, and the only store is not dealing with alot of brands, only some weird unknown low quality guitars.
so i'll go checkout some guitars at the music shop, and see what i like, basically, i need to find what sounds good and feels comfortable to me. but i want some directions, let's say schecter is not an option for me right now..
Quote by RIP-Dimebag
i did liked how LTD and ESP sounds, only thing left is to play it myself, i never played an ESP/LTD. so how's the neck? is it comfortable?

ESP/LTD necks are the best man, so comfortable
just saying, today i played two awesome guitars by jackson, Mark morton dominion and a jackson king v, ****ing awesome! but can't afford enough money
any other suggestions?
Do you like the way your Epi sounds now?

Get new pickups, and a new amp. Pups won't cost more than $200, so that leaves $500 or so towards the amp.

For your brand of Tech Death and such with good cleans, um, you're not gonna get far new. Can you go used on the amp?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Do you like the way your Epi sounds now?

Get new pickups, and a new amp. Pups won't cost more than $200, so that leaves $500 or so towards the amp.

For your brand of Tech Death and such with good cleans, um, you're not gonna get far new. Can you go used on the amp?

i really don't think i need a new amp, i can achieve some preety sweet tones with it, and bands i like to play is pantera, lamb of god, decapitated, and some bloodbath, but in my band we like to use alot of clean parts. and is that really worth to get new pickups? if so, what kind of? emg's? seymour duncan?
Last edited by RIP-Dimebag at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by RiseTheFallen
Get a set of EMG 81/60, heard that you can get some sweet cleans with that combo

sounds pretty good, thanks.
the top metal brands are all very similar and copy eachother. im talking ESP jackson ibanez ect...

everyone will say this is best, and this sucks and then someone will say the exact opposite. the truth is they are all great guitars.

i have and like ibanez they seem to cover the "affordable" range of guitars well. u can still get all the "must haves" floyde rose bridge, locking nuts, micro tuners, 24 frets, 3 pick ups, ect

I also wanted to add that many people use les pauls for metal. the epiphone les paul studio is a great guitar. might wanna just save your money.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Schecter Hellraiser or LTD EC-1000
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
the top metal brands are all very similar and copy eachother. im talking ESP jackson ibanez ect...

everyone will say this is best, and this sucks and then someone will say the exact opposite. the truth is they are all great guitars.

i have and like ibanez they seem to cover the "affordable" range of guitars well. u can still get all the "must haves" floyde rose bridge, locking nuts, micro tuners, 24 frets, 3 pick ups, ect

I also wanted to add that many people use les pauls for metal. the epiphone les paul studio is a great guitar. might wanna just save your money.

thanks alot dude! but another thing i wanted to ask, how can you down tune a guitar with a floyd rose? or you have to setup your guitar especially for a desired tuning?
Last edited by RIP-Dimebag at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by RIP-Dimebag
thanks alot dude! but another thing i wanted to ask, how can you down tune a guitar with a floyd rose? or you have to setup your guitar especially for a desired tuning?

If you change tunings regular or plan to change tunings regular then avoid floyds all together cause setting up the floyd just right for each tuning will eat up a lot of your playing time. Thus why people who use FR's typically have at least 2 to 4 guitars.

If you want to go from say E standard to Drop D then a D-Tuna will work but I personally do not think it is worth it.
Quote by Darkdevil725
If you change tunings regular or plan to change tunings regular then avoid floyds all together cause setting up the floyd just right for each tuning will eat up a lot of your playing time. Thus why people who use FR's typically have at least 2 to 4 guitars.

If you want to go from say E standard to Drop D then a D-Tuna will work but I personally do not think it is worth it.

okay thanks man