I have Bill Lawrence humbuckers and one of the pole pieces just free spins. Doesn't seem to rattle or anything but I'd like to be able to adjust it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Adjust it? You can't adjust pole pieces, they are preset when they are put in the pickup. You can adjust the entire pickup up or down on the sides, but not the individual pole pieces.

Well then I guess the other eleven are malfunctioning.
I think you're both getting mixed up. Pole pieces should not be adjustable, they're slugs of metal. The screw pieces SHOULD be adjustable.

If one's too loose it probably means it was over-tightened or forced at some point and some part has been stripped. Not much you can do other than hope it's the screw itself that has been messed up, as that can be replaced eaisly enough.
actually grohl1987 you and ethan are wrong about the pole pieces. Since he said 11 that means that ALL the pole pieces are adjustable just like the hexbuckers from guitarheads are.

But yes as grohl said if it is not the screw then you cannot do anything about it. And since the threads in the pickup are usually plastic its very unlikely that the threads on the screw would strip so if you want it to be adjustable you will have to get a new pickup. You might be able to use some tape on the screws thread where you need it but you would probably have to reapply the tape every time you want to change the height of the screw.

I had a similar issue with my RG5EX1 and it was so bad that I was to just pull the entire screw out without using any force and without turning it. I put some tape on the screw to hold it in place at the height I needed and it worked fine.

some are adjustable like said.

in this top example one row is adjustable.

here they are, with a hex.

basically, i'm asking, what kind do you have?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Darkdevil725
actually grohl1987 you and ethan are wrong about the pole pieces. Since he said 11 that means that ALL the pole pieces are adjustable just like the hexbuckers from guitarheads are.

But yes as grohl said if it is not the screw then you cannot do anything about it. And since the threads in the pickup are usually plastic its very unlikely that the threads on the screw would strip so if you want it to be adjustable you will have to get a new pickup. You might be able to use some tape on the screws thread where you need it but you would probably have to reapply the tape every time you want to change the height of the screw.

I had a similar issue with my RG5EX1 and it was so bad that I was to just pull the entire screw out without using any force and without turning it. I put some tape on the screw to hold it in place at the height I needed and it worked fine.

This is the same as I have. I was wondering if it is stripped (not the pole piece but the metal where it screws into) would using tape to tighten it affect the sound?

If I need to replace the screw do I just pull it up and out? there seems to be some resistance but that might just be the magnet.
I used tape at the top of the screw to hold it in place when I had a similar issue. I dont know how well that would work putting tape at the bottom.
Quote by amx360

This is the same as I have. I was wondering if it is stripped (not the pole piece but the metal where it screws into) would using tape to tighten it affect the sound?

If I need to replace the screw do I just pull it up and out? there seems to be some resistance but that might just be the magnet.

pulling out the pole, to try to wrap the threads at the bass, might prevent that pole from working properly. if the pole doesnt go back in place.

the tape wont be the issue, the issue might just be the faulty pup itself.

i suggest you only try minor surgery on the pickup, if you're
prepared to swap it out, should you not be successful.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
pulling out the pole, to try to wrap the threads at the bass, might prevent that pole from working properly. if the pole doesnt go back in place.

the tape wont be the issue, the issue might just be the faulty pup itself.

i suggest you only try minor surgery on the pickup, if you're
prepared to swap it out, should you not be successful.

Yeah, I had a feeling that pulling that pole out might be a lot easier than putting it back in. If I decide to operate and the patient survives I'll post it here. If it goes bad.... well.....you might see these bad boys on EBAY( listed as "in nearly excellent condition").
Thanks for the help.
Update: surgery went well. Pulled the pole piece screw out, put a little heat shrink wire wrap on it, and it went back in no problem. No noticeable tone difference.