Are there proper zones to place your fingers while playing? IE like typing on the keyboard you keep you hands on the home keys, etc to be efficient...

so on the neck, does the first finger always go on the 3rd, fret, 7 fret, etc and the other fingers follow?

I'm asking because in rocksmith (i'm a noob, don't laugh, lol) they have these "anchor zones" and i don't know if I should be making myself learn that way...

on some songs I find their positioning to be less efficient, but maybe this is the proper way?
Last edited by Mjfan12 at Oct 29, 2011,
keep your hand over where your playing.

if your playing a pentatonic lick in Am your going to keep your index finger over the fifth fret, obviously. do that.

you shouldn't be taking the time to go to "anchor zones" inbetween playing parts. just go to where the next part starts, play, go to where the next one is, play, and so on.
Are there proper zones to place your fingers while playing? IE like typing on the keyboard you keep you hands on the home keys, etc to be efficient...

Basically, yes. There are a few different systems people use to separate the neck into different chunks and how to arrange the notes efficiently and musically, but the main guideline is the finger per fret rule.

So, if you have a scale that consists of notes on the 7th fret, 8th fret, 9th fret and 10th - regardless of what string they're on - then you play all the notes on the 7th fret with your first finger, all the notes on the 8th with your second, etc.

If you need to stretch, you want to prefer stretching with the index - so going 5-7-9 you would use fingers 124 (ie, stretch down a fret with index, leave out 3rd finger). If the stretch is larger use your head and listen to your hands.
I know for scales and such there are positions but my question is more for songs.....like in the game during In Boom by nirvana.....it makes you use your index finger on the 6th, 3rd, and first frets...

when it would be easier to keep your index on the 3rd fret and use your pinky on the 6th...

it would be easier to keep you hand on one place and utilize your other fingers....
wherever is comfortable and easiest for you to play whatever you're playing is where your hand should be. It's not an exact science, there are too many different variables.
i dont think about it too much, just do whatever feels most comfortable i guess
There aren't really 'zones' since where you place your fingers will highly depend on the context of what you're playing. There are more logical fingerings than others and I don't know about Rocksmith to tell you if what they're teaching will be logical/the most efficient.
Rocksmith fingering is amazing. Any noobs/intermediates who want to get better and learn songs fast should pick it up. I have been playing for 6 years and I have learned so much from rocksmith. The finger positions are perfect in that game EXCEPT when they want you to bend with your pinky, that is the only time I move my third finger down. Some people say its good to bend with your pinky though, (I have a guitar world issue where slash says practice bending with all fingers) so it's not wrong, just something I disagree with.

I consider myself an advanced guitarist as far as metal/classic rock goes but since playing that game, I have gotten to learn all kinds of new things. Crazy jazz sounds, major7, minor7, 13 chords, 6 chords, new harmonics, etc.

They throw all this stuff at you after they see that you have mastered barre chords and power chords. Never played anything so addicting (maybe cause im addicted to guitar)
Quote by Freepower
Basically, yes. There are a few different systems people use to separate the neck into different chunks and how to arrange the notes efficiently and musically, but the main guideline is the finger per fret rule.

So, if you have a scale that consists of notes on the 7th fret, 8th fret, 9th fret and 10th - regardless of what string they're on - then you play all the notes on the 7th fret with your first finger, all the notes on the 8th with your second, etc.

If you need to stretch, you want to prefer stretching with the index - so going 5-7-9 you would use fingers 124 (ie, stretch down a fret with index, leave out 3rd finger). If the stretch is larger use your head and listen to your hands.

Would you maintain this rule further up the neck, say 12th fret and above ?
I personally usually would, but past the 12th fret a lot of people favour 123 instead of 134. Experiment and see what you like - I like to have consistent fingering across the fretboard, but I still occasionally end up using 123, eg, for ending on a big bend. Yngwie or Andy James would try and use 123 as much as possible and they can definitely make it work.
Quote by Freepower
I personally usually would, but past the 12th fret a lot of people favour 123 instead of 134. Experiment and see what you like - I like to have consistent fingering across the fretboard, but I still occasionally end up using 123, eg, for ending on a big bend. Yngwie or Andy James would try and use 123 as much as possible and they can definitely make it work.

Would there be anything wrong with playing something like this (basically pentatonics) without using your pinky ?

I personally don't like to use my pinky just for the sake of using it

E        12                    12                     12
B 15B      15p12        12       15p12  15B      15p12
G                  14b                                         14b
D     
A
E

I mean surely when you play stuff like this you would never use your pinky.

E                17 19 20               17 19 20
B   17 19 20               17 19 20
Would there be anything wrong with playing something like this (basically pentatonics) without using your pinky ?

Nope, all those bends are there, best to use the first three fingers.

I mean surely when you play stuff like this you would never use your pinky.

I'd say about 90% of the time I'd use my pinky there.
Quote by Freepower
Nope, all those bends are there, best to use the first three fingers.

I'd say about 90% of the time I'd use my pinky there.

Very nice. I'm guessing the other 10% of the time is if it's really fast like technical difficulties speed or if theres a big bend coming up.
Quote by Freepower
Oh, no, if it's really fast I'm more likely to use my pinky (like Paul! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wv7Z0DpJRM ) because I like to keep my fingerings consistent through scale runs. If I'm going to hit a big bend or because of bends that I've just played I'm favouring my 3rd finger, then I'll go 123.

That is one insane pinky. Never knew he played it like that. My pinky has had it way too easy until now
He does have a pretty insane pinky, the size of his hands is ridiculous. He often plays the tone-tone pattern with 134 (as he does there).

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone with normal human hands to try that. Or Andy James "I will play everything possible without my pinky" style.
These anchor zones seem to be a common question.

Theoretically you have to follow certain patterns, that's what most say.

I personally disagree with that for the simple fact that there comes a time in your development when you will approach things the way you want to, and how you feel it's natural.

The goal is to sound good when playing a scale, lick, what ever, how you play it irelevant as long as it sounds good.

Apply these finger exercises for at least 15 minutes a day:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/guitar-finger-exercises/

Practice them as it is told in the article and you will see that you will progress very soon.

Also read the first 2 chapters in my free ebook ( here is the table of contents: http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/) and you will understand what i mean by what said a little up

GOOD LUCK !
Quote by Freepower
He does have a pretty insane pinky, the size of his hands is ridiculous. He often plays the tone-tone pattern with 134 (as he does there).

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone with normal human hands to try that. Or Andy James "I will play everything possible without my pinky" style.

Paul gilberts pinky is the same size as my middle finger, no jokes. I swear ive seen him pull off a 3-11 stretch with the guitar horizontal.