Hey guys. I joined a groove metal/hardcore band about a month ago playing bass. I've noticed sometimes after a long practice everything will sound kind of muffled for a few minutes. we play kinda loud in an smallish space (mostly because of our drummer) so i'm looking into different types of ear plugs to protect my hearing. Are there any certain kinds that work better than others? also, how well will i be able to hear the band while wearing these? Are there are common stores where i can find them at? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have hearing problems early in life just because my band is loud. Thanks in advance!
if you want something cheap regular earplugs have worked just fine in my experience

otherwise you can get some that have flat attenuation for ten bucks or so from a music store
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
You might get some of those earplugs that mold to your ears like these . They're all pretty much the same.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Oct 29, 2011,
ne14t, those look great actually. Yeah, slightly pricey but as you said my hearing is worth it. I'm only 20 so i'm hoping to have my hearing around for a long time haha. I appreciate the help and welcome any other suggestions anyone may have
Try a local drug store or Walgreens. Might have plugs there. We've used the foam kind that you pinch to fit in your ears at work for years. Ear plugs take a bit of getting used to. But once you do you wont notice them at all. And by the way, great to sleep with when you know folks will be noisy in the house.
Go to Walmart andhead to the sporting goods department where they keep the guns. Grab a pair of the ones that go into your ears and have a string attaching them. Should cost you like $3 and they work great. Honestly, I hear things much more clear with them on. You WILL lose quite a bit of bass, but you'll still be able to hear it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I do not suggest the foamy ones, those reduce key frequencies and you can get lost when you are playing with others. The EarSonics or something similar seems a lot better to me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
I will probably pick up a few pair of the cheap ones for now, and then invest in the Earsonics later on, hopefully before we start playing shows. I appreciate the help guys!
Why don't you roll like Brad Delson (Linkin Park guitarist) and wear shooting range headphones?

Thats probably the best option but would be unreasonable in most cases. Regular plugs will do but as others have mentioned, the earsonic and molded ones are better. Just anything to block your ears.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
haha believe it or not i thought about it :P It's just something i've been thinking about lately. I can't even tell you how many interviews i have seen or read from older musicians about hwo their hearing is bad and how they wish they had did something to avoid it. I just don't want to end up like that
Quote by shecter guy
haha believe it or not i thought about it :P It's just something i've been thinking about lately. I can't even tell you how many interviews i have seen or read from older musicians about hwo their hearing is bad and how they wish they had did something to avoid it. I just don't want to end up like that

At least you can decorate it with random stuff like he (or rather his bandmates) do when they are bored. It'll keep everyone else occupied.

Those would cost alot more than earplugs though.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Try out a set of Etymotic er-20 plugs?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA