Page 1 of 2
Besides the occasional Dream Theater fan, I have never known another real prog fan besides myself. What is it about progressive rock/metal that turns so many people off? I believe the concept of a band making a 20 minute plus symphony with little to no limits on what they can play is what makes music so great and inspirational. I can understand why the average Joe wouldn't like prog, but just overall, it seems no one really likes prog.
I like prog. I like listening to it when I want to really think about the music. But that's just it, you have to think about it. It's not just some fun music that makes you feel good. When I want to feel happy I listen to Skid Row, not prog.
Pop music is simple for a reason, its easy to listen to (if you can get your head around how terrible 90% of it is) its catchy and it ALWAYS has to feature lyrics the public can relate to.

Writing terrible chart music is a science and prog is pretty much on the other side of the scale. If your talking in terms of progressive/ technical music, a lot lacks melody and features strange time sigs which confuse the brain and can cause an uncomfortable feeling . . . . . If your an idiot, which is all big time producers see you as!

This is strange when you learn that listening to bands like meshuggah that feature heavy low end/ rhythmic bass and strange time sigs can massively calm the brain into a trance like state, although this is more to do with the groove so songs like bleed for example that are harsh and fast does not, where the intro of Rational Gaze is an extremely calming piece of music on a neurological level!
Each person actually has a parabolic curve of the complexity of music they like that peaks at a certain complexity, and drops off at various rates on either side. The average persons curve peaks at the level of complexity of pop.

My curve is fairly shallow, but probably peaks somewhere around complex rock that is just short of prog (though I love prog music too, don't get me wrong).

That's the fairly simple cognitive explanation of what complexity of music people like.

The why, is rooted in what you were exposed to when you were a child (and since then) and how adaptable your brain is to new things (brains that can mold to new languages and mathematics have a better chance of liking new/different music).
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I love prog metal. It's musically challenging and technical, more than your average casual listener could comprehend.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Isn't Pink Floyd considered Prog? Everyone loves Floyd.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by kaptkegan
Each person actually has a parabolic curve of the complexity of music they like that peaks at a certain complexity, and drops off at various rates on either side. The average persons curve peaks at the level of complexity of pop.

My curve is fairly shallow, but probably peaks somewhere around complex rock that is just short of prog (though I love prog music too, don't get me wrong).

That's the fairly simple cognitive explanation of what complexity of music people like.

The why, is rooted in what you were exposed to when you were a child (and since then) and how adaptable your brain is to new things (brains that can mold to new languages and mathematics have a better chance of liking new/different music).

I guess my brain is pretty unique then cuz I really only listen to prog. I hate pop with a raging passion.

Quote by Most_Triumphant
Isn't Pink Floyd considered Prog? Everyone loves Floyd.

Not true. If a survey was to be taken, I guarantee the average person wouldn't love or even like Floyd. The only Floyd songs I ever heard on the radio was Another Brick part 2 and Hey You, and they were on rock stations.
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Oct 29, 2011,
^ don't forget Comfortably Numb, and Learning to Fly.

Can't say why Prog's not insanely popular. Maybe it's a niche genre like Rockabilly or Art-rock.

Rush are still pretty popular though aren't they?
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by kaptkegan

As a child, I was exposed to mathematical and scientific challenges from my father. He always made sure I understood. (My father is a computer engineer.)

Today I hate pop and rap music, prog, punk, and '80's metal are my favorites. Best band is Dream Theater. I've listened to Octavarium (24:01) and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (42:04) in their entirety and thoroughly enjoyed them.

This could very well be right.
Quote by xFilth
Music for musicians

this in a nutshell. you can't hum along with a prog tune. most woman could care less that the guitar player is blazing along with a difficult keyboard passage in 12/8 time. prog tends to be rather unaccessable to the average person. personally i love it but it is from a musicians standpoint.
I think an open mind to music would help. IMO, we are a generation where everything needs to be quick and to the point. Pop songs does that as usually the point/intention of the song is encapsulated in that one section known as the Chorus and it comes pretty quick, usually around the 1 minute mark. They end quick too and usually the level of musical sophistication isnt very high either, which is perfect for a (IMO) generation that is starting to lean towards passive adsorption of information.
Prog Rock however (at least for me) assaults your brain with varying musical patterns and time signatures, the variation keeps your brain active and challenged. Everytime i hear good prog music, it feels fresh and vibrant like listening to it for the first time.
I do have a feeling the general public have completely no idea what is progressive music. I wont blame them as they stereotype Metal music as double-bass drum spam, screamo , satanic and jarring and noisy guitarwork and rock music as pop music with distorted guitar.
This does tell us one fact ; Most of them are un-open to music that deviates too far from what they understand and hear which unfortunately are the dross that gets handed out everyday.
Long point short: It is the mass media fault for not promoting other forms of music.
The fact the prog strays away from the typical song structure is the exact reason so many people forgo it. Pop is popular for the same reason metal is, it's easy to get into. whether you are into pop or metal depends on your personality. Progressive music is popular with a certiain niche that enjoys more than the standard, because they find the standard boring. Just like some people like more complex video games (like a zelda game over a mario game) or more interesting movies (Inception over a stupid animated movie). The majority of people alive today prefer not to think, simply because its not required. I'd actually prefer a 17/8 time sig over a 4/4. Why? Because 4/4 is boring and repetitive.

Also, does anyone know how progressive house got its name? because when comparing it to prog metal I rage sooooo hard.

And just so you know, my parabolic curve ends at blotted science/spastik ink.
I love prog, but I think you have to have a mathematical mind to like it a lot. I'd be interested how many of you that like prog are good to great in math.
Quote by Dave Marquez
I love prog, but I think you have to have a mathematical mind to like it a lot. I'd be interested how many of you that like prog are good to great in math.

I study business economics and mathematics and prog rock is my favourite genre
Well, prog tends to be a little on the experimental side, therefore there will always be those who do not like something. Its a lot like going out on a limb, not many people would do that for fear of falling. Whenever an artist goes out on a limb, there is a danger that the fans will not like it.

I think this is why nobody likes prog.

ron666
Music for the sake of music. What a strange and otherworldly concept. You're not alone brothers and sisters. King Crimson taught me to love music, inspired me to play music. "Progressive" music changed me as a person, it expands my consciousness and continues to drive home the virtue of humility, what I feel is a primary role in musicianship. progarchives.com
I don't really like math and I love prog music. I think music just isn't that important for some people and they prefer the same old pop sound. Kinda like why some people prefer the simplicity, fast paced, and repetitivity of the Call of Duty franchise.

Here's how I see it:
Your opinion of prog music the first time you hear it: Weird. (Some people may even think it sucks and it's nonsense)

Most people don't take the time to go pass this period.

After a short period of time listening to prog: Interesting

After a while listening to prog: Amazing!
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
I hate math, but absolutely love a few mathcore bands. I win this thread?
Honestly I think there's a decent amount of progressive music about. The internet has helped lots of people discover cool artists as well - I have a bunch of friends into cloudkicker who are non-musos.

Prog metal is not the only form of prog, and it's one of the most abrasive kinds. Obviously there's going to be less people into it.
Most people don't like prog because they wanna get drunk and have fun dancing along to bass heavy pop songs they already know. People who aren't musicians do not give a single shit about how complex a passage is, but how catchy/memorable it is. You probably can't hum back to me some John Petrucci solo the first time you heard it, but you sure as hell can anything on the Top 40.

As far as I stand on prog - find some of it absolutely brilliant and entertaining, find other parts of it boring wank.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Blessed are we, fellow warriors and wenches of Prog, for our ears know'eth a literacy of music unfathomable to most.

Verily, Progressive Hymns be'ith rejected by those without this literacy. Whence Prog odes caress'eth theire ears: 'tis an exotic language they doth not speak or comprehend!

Thus, asking them to appreciate Prog be'ith akin to slugs appreciating Shakespeare!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Quote by dream_theater24
I'd actually prefer a 17/8 time sig over a 4/4.

I prefer 17/8 over 4/4 in polymeter Yeahhh PROG!
I think its because it includes the word "metal". A kid asked me what music I listen to and I said "progressive metal", he says "what that headbanging shit?". Prog is anything BUT that.

I about killed him, just saying.

Oh and another kid thought that Dream Theater was pop, so maybe its just a misunderstanding since prog metal is such a large genre with many variations.
It's pretty obvious why prog isn't popular, are you really wondering this or just looking other people to hate on other genres with? I'm familiar with prog but not really into it as a genre. I like some stuff but find most of it to be pretty self indulgent. A lot of times I feel like the musicians are intentionally complicating things just for the sake of turning off so called "dumb" listeners. I don't think you're really expressing yourself very much if you sit down and say "I'm going to write a 15 minute song in 17/5 time"
Quote by Dr. Koolaide
"I'm going to write a 15 minute song in 17/5 time"

It doesn't exist.

He's hating cause he doesn't understand
First of all TS, I like your username. Second, I think prog isn't very popular because it's not what people would consider "easy listening." Think of all the people who have ADD, ADHD, etc. Most prog bands have songs that are 10+ minutes. People just simply can't pay attention for that long. But there are more and more people getting in to it. The amount of BTBAM wannabes (still enjoyable) out there are steadily increasing. It gives me some sort of hope for the human race that I thought was lost when I heard Justin Bieber was writing a dubstep album.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Quote by BloodReverence
It doesn't exist.

He's hating cause he doesn't understand

Thats obviously hyperbole. Anyways you just proved my point. A lot of people who listen to prog just want to feel smarter about themselves by not listening to "simple" music and they say everyone else is dumb and doesn't understand. Are you really any better than the common hipster at that point? I do like some progressive stuff but progheads can be real assholes sometimes.
Quote by Dr. Koolaide
Thats obviously hyperbole. Anyways you just proved my point. A lot of people who listen to prog just want to feel smarter about themselves by not listening to "simple" music and they say everyone else is dumb and doesn't understand. Are you really any better than the common hipster at that point? I do like some progressive stuff but progheads can be real assholes sometimes.

Dude, calm yourself. It's called a joke.

Plus, I like prog because it's unique, not because it's complicated. It is something that catches me off guard and I like that.
I don't understand why playing with more notes; playing with a wider variety of intervals, timings, whathaveyou = self indulgent wanking. To me dictating the content of a musical flow and slathering it with your own views in a sing-a-long format so that a wider audience of people will listen to it = self indulgence. Conformity has only deprived us of musical discovery in my opinion. Unless of course you want to capitalize on life's beauty, which let's face it, I'd rather be half-heartedly playing a guitar for a pay check than stocking car parts.

What came first, improvisation or composition?
Last edited by wafflesyrup at Dec 9, 2011,
Quote by Dave Marquez

I'm okay at math, wouldn't say great, but I teach guitar and the students best at math are also best at lead. Heck I even had one going old school with a request for a Fates Warning song last week. I think they see patterns and shapes better for lead and most are big prog fans.

As to why Prog isn't more popular- people accept the pablum that is spoon fed to them. Prog is too challenging to listen to for the average american idol, dance music and assorted pop fan. I hate to say it but I think the general public likes to be dumbed down, and the people pushing pop culture are only too happy to oblige.
People don't like prog because it's not really fun to dance to, or play at parties, or anything like that. Aside from the lack of, practical listening use, for lack of a better phrase, a lot of prog has screaming, which already is music that is biased against. Personally I think Prog death is the shit. Don't get me wrong, I love some smoother more jazzy prog/djent whatever like Animals As Leaders, but there is nothing better, and I mean nothing, than pitting to the intro riff of Berzerker by After The Burial. But you also have to take into consideration that people don't like that shit. People like fags like Justin Bieber, saying "Baby" 357 times a minute for 3 minutes of less because that the concentration time limit.

I like that prog is unique in the sense that it's complex. I'm a musician, and I've been playing metal, and prog stuff for like 4 years, so playing three chord songs bores me. For example, I literally can learn an entire ACDC song and perfect it in less than half an hour. It's not a challenge therefore it's not worth playing. Now, with a song like Cursing Akhenaten- by ATB Or Bleed by Meshuggah, you have to work on that. Try listening to the rhythm the whole song once and playing it. You can't, and it's not that the triplets or whatever is too hard. It's the crazy polyrhythmic goodness. When I first heard Berzerker, I shit my pants... To date, that is the best intro I've ever heard. Only Encounters-Volumes comes close.

Edit: Speaking of Mathcore. PI by After The Burial. 70 decimals of PI in a song... Pure Genius.
Last edited by slayerfanx55 at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
^You don't know any actual Prog Rock bands do you?

This.

Go listen to some King Crimson then come back.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Morphogenesis26
^You don't know any actual Prog Rock bands do you?

this. that was such an awful post, that i wouldn't even know where to begin.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I know its because Americans (I don't know about other countries) need everything to be simple and a quick moneymaker. I actually know people who will listen to the first 10 seconds of a sog and immediately say it's bad, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you were a record company, who just exists to make money, would you rather get a pop singer you can autotune and crank out two albums a year, or a prog metal band who takes 3 years to come out with a new album? I hate pop/hiphop/rap with a passion because it's making it harder and harder for bands with real talent to be successful. I recently found this prog metal band called Gru, they have one album out an it is one of the best instrumental prog metal albums you'll ever hear. But no, songs from them only get a few thousand views on YouTube. I wouldn't hate pop and stuff so much if it wasn't the only damn music people listen to. Look at Japan, pop and metal are equally popular there and making tons of money, why not here?
Personally, I just don't enjoy as much of the music as I do in some other genres

My biggest problem is a lot of what I've seen in this thread and others, that a lot of people who are into prog just assume that you are somehow less of a music fan because you don't like it. I get that it's more technical and more musically complicated but I just don't enjoy a lot of it.
Page 1 of 2