I was just wondering if all guitars that have a low action buzz a lttle bit? is it like a trade up thing, playability for sustain?
No. Theres a lot of variables - you might not have enough neck relief, or your frets need crowned. Your string gauge might be a little too light for what you are doing. Also, if you have extra jumbo frets, they tend to buzz more. I suggest you get a professional set up if its bad enough to be heard through your amp.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Depends how low, and depends what you consider low. If a guitar has ANY buzz, I consider it too low, but that's just me, I'm quite the fretbuzz nazi, fretbuzz drives me mad, I don't care if I can't hear it perfectly though the amp or not, if it's there, it's too low. IMO at least.

In short it depends, but for the most part, yes. A guitar with super low action is almost garenteed to have fret buzz somewhere unless you pick as light as a feather, and or whoever set it up did the greatest job in the world.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Tango616
Depends how low, and depends what you consider low. If a guitar has ANY buzz, I consider it too low, but that's just me, I'm quite the fretbuzz nazi, fretbuzz drives me mad, I don't care if I can't hear it perfectly though the amp or not, if it's there, it's too low. IMO at least.

In short it depends, but for the most part, yes. A guitar with super low action is almost garenteed to have fret buzz somewhere unless you pick as light as a feather, and or whoever set it up did the greatest job in the world.

Oh lawd Im the exact same way. Nothing grinds my gears more than fret buzz - my Schecter C7 has the action set pretty high, and still it tends to buzz. I think the frets are gonna need done
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
It depends on a ton of variables. How high the strings are at the nut, how tall the frets are, how the bridge height is set, etc. If you can't get the strings to a height where they are at least comfortable to play without getting fret buzz then you have the wrong guitar.
well the guitar is nearly 30 years old and hasnt had the frets done once but it still doesnt have TOO much fret buzz so im guessing if the frets get done there would be no buzz?
.8 mm is too low, id end up breaking my fingers from jamming them on the fret board :O
Aim for about 2mm between the top of the 12th fret and the underside of the low E and 1.6mm for the high E. The dip should be about .15 mm with the string clamped at the first fret, at the first fret where the neck joins the body and measye around about the 7th or 8th fret.
Quote by Lovecannon
Oh lawd Im the exact same way. Nothing grinds my gears more than fret buzz - my Schecter C7 has the action set pretty high, and still it tends to buzz. I think the frets are gonna need done

love your avatar.

and i find that most of the time, it isn't the height, but the action of the guitar. most necks are adjusted with some really weird relief.... like they are strung for .13's or something when they use .9's

it depends on where the buzzing occurs. depending on where the buzz occurs means certain things.
It really depends on the quality of the guitar and how well it's set up... and how you play it, too. I can get under 1mm of action without buzz with light-medium playing. What can affect it? Uneven frets... bridge not at the right height... unlevel nut... truss rod not adjusted properly...

If you're unsure, I'd say take it to a tech to get it setup. If you can, ask if you can watch and learn.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
It's already been said, but it depends on the guitar, the actual height, the neck relief, how hard you pick, etc. It is possible to have a really low set up with very little/no buzz but it's more likely you're going to have some than none.

I have 2 guitars with 1-2mm action and they have slight buzz, but it is barely audible acoustically and not at all audible through an amp. I'm definitely not a pro at guitar set-up.
if your frets are perfectly levelled and your neck relief is just right, you shouldn't be getting any buzz with super-low action, although one thing to watch out for is that with low action, it's easier to make the strings rattle against the frets by hitting them too hard than it is with high action so if you pick very hard you're very likely to get buzz from low action.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'd try new strings first, maybe one step up in size from what you currently use. Unless of course you already use larger guage strings. Then go from there. My RG5 came with 9-42's on it and had slight buzz on the 5th and 6th strings above the 12th fret. I changed up to 10-46's and the buzz went away. Saved me from having to adjust .
Guitars with best fret leveling (which means no dead frets!) and best setup combined with best quality-made materials will be made to last. Guitars that have poor quality control (eg. Gibson Explorer that I tested back on the market) will buzz with low action.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Guitars with best fret leveling (which means no dead frets!) and best setup combined with best quality-made materials will be made to last. Guitars that have poor quality control (eg. Gibson Explorer that I tested back on the market) will buzz with low action.

that's a complete mixup of different things that aren't really directly linked in any way.

if you can level frets and set guitars up yourself you can get just about any trashy guitar to have super-low action with no fret buzz at all, it's got nothing to do with build quality. quality control has got nothing to do with the setup, either.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
that's a complete mixup of different things that aren't really directly linked in any way.

if you can level frets and set guitars up yourself you can get just about any trashy guitar to have super-low action with no fret buzz at all, it's got nothing to do with build quality. quality control has got nothing to do with the setup, either.

well its a VERY well made guitar, neck is amazingly cumfy too! I just think the frets need re-crowning but how can you tell if the frets do need it or not?
Quote by NewYngwie
well its a VERY well made guitar, neck is amazingly cumfy too! I just think the frets need re-crowning but how can you tell if the frets do need it or not?

Play all frets on the neck unplugged. If any of the frets buzz, the frets begin to go loose or get stripped, then you would probs need to re-crown them. That's how I do it.
Quote by Blompcube

Just my opinion, that's all. Setups will definitely solve the problem.