Doesnt look bad. And you dont HAVE to have the pick at a 45 degree angle, it just helps a bit. It depends on the tone you want.
and I DONT Hold the pick at a 45 when sweeping, but Ig its possible.

Honestly theres a ton of ways to hold the pick, do whatever feels right and gives you the sound you want. and then make sure you pick with your WRIST!!!!!!I cant stress that enough. Believe me its the best (and really only way you can do it without hurting yourself) way.
It looks like your knuckles are in danger of striking the strings if you're not careful. It also looks like that grip may encourage tension. I suggest holding the pick a tad farther away from the rest of your hand. However, If I'm wrong on both counts, more power to you.

The 45 degree angle thing is, of course, just a guideline. If you can hold your pick more flatly, go for it - there will be less pick-on-string noise that way.

Be aware that either way, angle of attack affects your tone significantly. Some ideas may even well sound better with your pick at an even greater angle. It lends a chug-ey timbre that sounds particularly good when you play quick licks on low strings, for example.
Last edited by Daimoth at Oct 29, 2011,
I dont even pick half of my stuff, i do whats called lagato with everything. I will pick a note and hammer on/pull off about 3, 4 maybe 5 notes
Ahh, okay okay. I see. Thank you for a the great insight! This will definitely prove to be very helpful in the future.
I like to see hold my pick as it was an extension of my index finger.

You seem to hold it ok. You should try to hold it a little to the the right (closer to the tip of your finger)

And you should also let it out more

To be honest with you, holding the pick is a minor thing. The more you practice the better you become.

There are lots of great guitarists who hold their picks in strange ways but they don't care, they just play .

I would recommend that you read at least the first 2 chapters in my free ebook so you cn understand the process of learning how to play guitar from both mentally and muscle memory points of view

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Good luck !
Quote by Daimoth
It looks like your knuckles are in danger of striking the strings if you're not careful. It also looks like that grip may encourage tension. I suggest holding the pick a tad farther away from the rest of your hand. However, If I'm wrong on both counts, more power to you.

The 45 degree angle thing is, of course, just a guideline. If you can hold your pick more flatly, go for it - there will be less pick-on-string noise that way.

Be aware that either way, angle of attack affects your tone significantly. Some ideas may even well sound better with your pick at an even greater angle. It lends a chug-ey timbre that sounds particularly good when you play quick licks on low strings, for example.

Actually his knuckles are in danger of muting the strings. Perfect!
Wether it is relaxed or not only he can tell.

A question that helps.
do you keep a flexible or stuff thumb?
Hrm, I've never seen anybody mute with their knuckles before. It's normally the palm side of one's hand.