So, I really would love to have a guitar with P90s, I've never played a guitar with them that I disliked...but I want them to be on a guitar no one would expect P90s on, like a V or an explorer or something, just for shits and giggles I'm going to be buying the parts over the next few months and then building it over the summer - so don't expect any pics other than sketches and whatnot for a while.

I'm most likely buying a prerouted body from warmoth http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Default.aspx just because I don't have the tools or expertise or time to really make my own design. Right now my 3 favorites are the Z, Iceman, and WGD, in that order.

So, I want some suggestions on how to make this look bizarre but beautiful and also very cheap (I'd love to keep the budget under $500 or so if at all possible). Rules: P90s, not any of the usual shapes (no tele/strat/LP/SG stuff here), bolt neck. I'll be finishing it myself, wiring it all myself. Hardtail bridge, probably ToM, because I've never once used the trem on my other guitars.

So GB&C, ideas?

Thanks in advance, this is going to be a fun project.

EDIT: I'll also be buying the neck and probably most of the hardware from warmoth unless you guys have better/cheaper ideas.
Last edited by godisasniper at Oct 29, 2011,
Meh, I want just the two P90s, on maybe that warmoth Z shape or something odd like that. That said though I agree, that's a sexy guitar.

One idea I'm having, please let me know how feasable this is, is to have no pickup selector switch, just two volume pots, one for each pup. On the guitars with 2 P90s I've played, I usually use both, but I want to have some control over how much of each is in the mix.

EDIT: yeah, I'll be trolling Ebay for hardware and maybe (though it scares me) the neck. Still pretty set on Warmoth for the body, because I'd love to have it prerouted for the P90s, since I'm only going to have 9 weeks this summer to do the whole build before I head back to college, and I don't have time or space at college for a large-scale build like that.

EDIT again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Parts-GUITARHEADS-PICKUPS-P90-SOAPBAR-Set-2-BLACK-/400252009834?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d30e0fd6a that's what I'm looking at for pickups, the reviews look good, price is terrifyingly low but I think they should be OK.
Last edited by godisasniper at Oct 30, 2011,
I recommend you buy a neck and build your own body. Most places that aren't Warmoth only sell Fender-shaped bodies, so if you want something crazier you're far better off doing it yourself. It really isn't that difficult and the cost of buying the tools and materials is about the same as buying a ready-made body. Plus, you'll learn a lot from the experience.

As for necks in the UK, check out these sites:
http://www.axesrus.com/axecart.htm
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk
http://www.allparts.uk.com

Also, 9 weeks is a long time. I built my first (shitty) guitar over the summer holidays, took me about 6 weeks.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were in the UK for some reason. In the US, Mighty Mite necks are pretty good and cheap.
http://mightymite.com/Necks.html
Last edited by sashki at Oct 30, 2011,
I'm in the US so I need companies that ship to the US for relatively cheap, I think most of those are not going to work. The issue with a custom body is that I literally have no time to plan and build it. I'm going to be working fulltime this summer making the money for the build, and I'll only have 9 weeks to get the whole thing built and ready to play. What about if I bought a premade Strat body and shaved off some bits to make it a bit more to my liking (smaller, more rounded horns, a slightly deeper cut for the bottom cutout, etc)?

EDIT: I'll take a look at that site. Basically, I'm too terrified to try and shape the body myself because I'm afraid I'll screw up the measurements. I'm a design student here in Cincinnati, and really I would like to not have to think about design and measurements much for a couple of months this summer

Yet another edit: I'm looking at about $250 for the body, $140 for the neck, another $40 for cheap ebay pups (looks like there are plenty of P90s on Ebay for roughly that price), $40 for bridge/tuners, and another $20 for pots/wiring, so total about $510.
Last edited by godisasniper at Oct 30, 2011,
I suggest GuitarFetish.com, top quality, low/ medium price range.
Their pickups are top notch; haven't tried their P90s, but their single coil sets sound awesome.

Their hardware is reasonably priced, I'd say you could find cheaper, but you won't find better price to quality ratio.
I'll take a look over there. I'm leaning towards an Ebay trawl for most of my little bits (straplocks, pots, etc) because of price, but I may actually just go to Radioshack and see if I can pick up the twin volume pots I need. Not going to have a tone pot on this because I've never used it, I prefer using various pedals in my chain to adjust my tone. I'd go with no controls whatsoever except that I'd like to have the option to adjust the blend of the two pups.

the other thing is, I'm looking at doing some handpainted graphics on it, probably the line "these words are the world to me" repeated because that's the title of my next album.
Quote by krisschmidt
Instead of two volumes why not just use a blend pot?

Because it's a lot easier when not really looking to check that two knobs are turned all the way up rather than to check that one is halfway - on guitars with twin P90s I usually end up using both pups at the same time. Also, wiring might be easier on two simple volume pots rather than on 1 blend pot, for someone like me who tends to get different wires confused.
Every experience I've had with 2 pickups and 2 pots results in one pot affecting the total volume when both are selected. It's how the wiring works. There might be a way around it but I don't know about it.
Yeah, because it's additive. I'm not too worried about that, I'm figuring that I'll be using it mostly with both all the way up and then turning down the bridge pot to get a quieter, more mellow tone. In fact, I might just have the neck pup hardwired (no volume control) and then have the bridge with a volume pot. Would that work?
Just so I can show of my build some more... look at my sig! I just built a Warmoth Z, not with P90's, but I LOVE IT. I can't speak for the sound since you want to put entirely different pickups, but the body/neck cost me just under 700$ unfinished. Mahogany body/Quilt maple top, the neck is mahogany/ebony. I don't think I'll ever buy another brand name guitar from a manufacturer ever again.
Quote by GandalfWh1te
would work sure, bearing in mind you wont be able to mute you're guitar with the volume as the neck is hardwired in. Two volumes or a switch would solve this.

Yeah, I'd put a killswitch on it in that case.

Quote by syntheticocean
Just so I can show of my build some more... look at my sig! I just built a Warmoth Z, not with P90's, but I LOVE IT. I can't speak for the sound since you want to put entirely different pickups, but the body/neck cost me just under 700$ unfinished. Mahogany body/Quilt maple top, the neck is mahogany/ebony. I don't think I'll ever buy another brand name guitar from a manufacturer ever again.
Yepp, I saw your build thread the other day, it was one of the things that made me want to do a Z build. I'm going to do a 1-piece, probably just basswood or something, for price reasons mostly, and probably I'll just go with a traditional maple/rosewood neck.

What're your thoughts on the body shape? My one thought is it looks a bit on the small side.
I love the shape. It can be a bit unfomfortable sitting down if I led the lower horn jab into my leg. If I were you I'd spring the extra 20$ for swamp ash or alder. Basswood is far too soft in my opinion and unless handled by professional manufacturers it can get dinged extremely easily. Ibanez does an extremely well job with this.

Te body isn't really any smaller than any other standar shape. The upper horn makes it too long for most cases so right now it is in a gig bag. Overall, awesome guitar and I will definitely get another.
Hmm, well that's two problems - I often play sitting down so that might not be the best thing...and I'm going to be flying back and forth from college with it so I'm going to need it to fit into a case.

EDIT: and I'm looking at spending the extra money for slightly better wood, though really, having the guitar get dinged and dented isn't something I'm worried about. I like my guitars to get beat up. My main guitar has some pretty intense battle scars, and as I'm not someone who sells his gear frequently, I just like having something with a bit more personality. I'm more concerned with the tone, though since I'm the guy with 3 budget-bin guitars here and nothing worth more than about $200, I'm clearly not that concerned
Last edited by godisasniper at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by godisasniper
Hmm, well that's two problems - I often play sitting down so that might not be the best thing...and I'm going to be flying back and forth from college with it so I'm going to need it to fit into a case.

EDIT: and I'm looking at spending the extra money for slightly better wood, though really, having the guitar get dinged and dented isn't something I'm worried about. I like my guitars to get beat up. My main guitar has some pretty intense battle scars, and as I'm not someone who sells his gear frequently, I just like having something with a bit more personality. I'm more concerned with the tone, though since I'm the guy with 3 budget-bin guitars here and nothing worth more than about $200, I'm clearly not that concerned

I'd still aim for slightly better wood for tone qualities as well. As for the shape.. I sit and play all the time and I got used to it. Worth it in the long run for me since the body shape is so unique. I have not tried any 'universal' cases though yet. Not in a huge hurry to get a case.
Quote by syntheticocean
I'd still aim for slightly better wood for tone qualities as well. As for the shape.. I sit and play all the time and I got used to it. Worth it in the long run for me since the body shape is so unique. I have not tried any 'universal' cases though yet. Not in a huge hurry to get a case.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get the better wood for tone reasons alone. My guitars right now are a Harmony H802 (very strange shape, far too small), an Epi LP Special II flattop, and a Squier Jagmaster, so I'm used to guitars that are odd to play sitting down, and I think I'll be ok in that regard. As to the case thing, I'll be ok for a while - I won't need it for a year or so.
Sounds like a plan. Talked to my parents today and they've agreed to make that body my Christmas present for this year. I'm going to be ordering it around then and then I'll be doing the finishing on that part and hopefully doing electronics at various points through the end of the school year, then final assembly this summer.

EDIT: what bridge option did you choose?
Last edited by godisasniper at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
That harmony is sweet! But just remember, keep it classy.

The Harmony is such an amazing sounding guitar, but it's nearly 40 years old and it's been beat up. It appears to have used for BB target practice, and the roughly 6 miles of action makes it damn near unplayable.

And I'm keeping this build very classy - it's not going to be the most amazing, tricked out guitar of all time but it'll have just the bare-bones necessities that I need. Also I think I'm going to try and apply for it to be one of my "honors experiences" here at college. If it got accepted for that, I'd be able to get some financial assistance and then I could really make it nice.
Quote by godisasniper
Sounds like a plan. Talked to my parents today and they've agreed to make that body my Christmas present for this year. I'm going to be ordering it around then and then I'll be doing the finishing on that part and hopefully doing electronics at various points through the end of the school year, then final assembly this summer.

EDIT: what bridge option did you choose?

I chose the recessed tune-o-matic with angled string through holes. I went with top of the line hardware on every last inch of this guitar.
Quote by syntheticocean
I chose the recessed tune-o-matic with angled string through holes. I went with top of the line hardware on every last inch of this guitar.

Sounds good...haha I'd go with the top of the line hardware if I wasn't, ya know, broke all the time.
GFS has good quality hardware for the price. It may not be the absolute best on the market, but the price ratio is. Just make reasonable assumptions when looking at stuff, if you have 2 bridges of theirs that look identical and the specs are mostly the same, but the prices are different (like one is $15 the other is $30) there is probably a reason. You can email them, Jay is usually pretty straight forward about what products of his are better than others.

Their pickups are good too, not boutique or handwired quality, but again... price to quality ratio is great.

As for the 2 pot blend... look at Jazz bass and P bass wiring, you should be able to wire that up just fine. I did it with a SSS and HH setup on two different guitars.
I'll certainly take a look at their stuff. They only seem to have one model of soapbar p90s but the prices are certainly good enough to put them on my radar if the reviews are any good.

And I'm not too worried about wiring - I've installed pickups, pots, and jacks before with not much difficulty, and I can read schematics thanks to high school engineering class, so I'm not a complete beginner in that area. I'm honestly more worried about the final setup of the guitar because all I've ever done with my guitars is adjust the action and occasionally throw a shim in the neck cavity to make it sit correctly.
Quote by ibanez2011
http://www.rondomusic.com/liquid34short.HTML
you could build something like this! i think it looks cool as hell lol but i dont think you could buy the body, you would have to make it

Meh, that shape doesn't do much for me. And, I want a TOM bridge for tuning stability reasons.

But thanks anyways, I had seen one of those ages ago and wondered what it was!

I'm going to try and photoshop together a mockup tomorrow afternoon so that I can see what it'll look like. The Z shape is definitely growing on me, I found a sketch I made of an imaginary guitar I wanted to build back in freshman year of high school and it looks EXACTLY the same. Have warmoth been looking in my sketchbooks?