So I was browsing Musician's Friend pedalboard scetion the other day, and i camed up with two things. First: Most are overpriced. Second: None really offers a clean setup. They are all messy. So, trying to resolve the problem, I camed up with this concept:

Signal path: Guitar> From guitar> Chain out> Pedals> Chain in> To amp> Amp> Preamp out> FXloop in>FX loop out>Pedals>FX Loop in>FXloop Out>Poweramp in
Also, it is powered. basically, you plug it in the back, and on the pedal side, you use something like a 9v daisy chain to supply all th pedals. The power can be turned off with the slide switch you see between the red LED and the power sign.
I was just wondering how to wire all this. Does anyone have ideas? And how much would this cost to build, except the wood?

I'm not planning to build this before a year or so. If anyone want to buil it, or to make it better, feel free to do it. Its just an idea I wanted to share with GB&C.

Also, i had the idea to include a built-in tuner or wireless transmitter, any ideas?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
So I was browsing Musician's Friend pedalboard scetion the other day, and i camed up with two things. First: Most are overpriced. Second: None really offers a clean setup. They are all messy. So, trying to resolve the problem, I camed up with this concept:
Signal path: Guitar> From guitar> Chain out> Pedals> Chain in> To amp> Amp> Preamp out> FXloop in>FX loop out>Pedals>FX Loop in>FXloop Out>Poweramp in
Also, it is powered. basically, you plug it in the back, and on the pedal side, you use something like a 9v daisy chain to supply all th pedals. The power can be turned off with the slide switch you see between the red LED and the power sign.
I was just wondering how to wire all this. Does anyone have ideas? And how much would this cost to build, except the wood?

I'm not planning to build this before a year or so. If anyone want to buil it, or to make it better, feel free to do it. Its just an idea I wanted to share with GB&C.

Also, i had the idea to include a built-in tuner or wireless transmitter, any ideas?

that could actually work well, but you'll want to also NEED to implement an isolated power supply if you want it to work well. because isolated = better noise handling/less signal loss, and it looks cleaner than daisy chaining. and you'll want shielded wiring.

the incorporated fx loop and guitar chain actually sound pretty neat though, i can see that being worth it.

and wireless would be awesome too.... but you'll need 2 wireless transmitters if you have both an fx loop and a front end chain...
Quote by ethan_hanus
That would still be as messy as any other pedal board, the thing that makes it messy is the power adapter connections to all the pedals. Just fork over the dough for 9 volts you cheapo.

I just don't see it working as well as you plan.

^I'm still working on the power section. I also might comeback later with another version including a tuner. But i like the daisy chain idea, it would mean a lot of wire, but not that much, since the daisy chain is pretty discrete.

The weak point of all the PB i saw on MF was that they couldnt keep clean the chain part of the signal path and the loop. All the ones i saw would have requiered others long cable, and thus ending up into a mess.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Oct 30, 2011,
^ thats not the point. The pedals on the image are just to illustrate the concept. I woulndt took four more hours just to draw you 18 pedals.

The stompswitch above each ''loop'' allow, when turned on, the power supply to the pedals and the signal to go trough the pedals. When turned off, the power is off(for one loop only) and its true bypassed.

How could this be wired? I'll do some resaerching, but if you have any ideas, hit me i'm all ears.

And i dont know what to do with power suplying. I want it to feed the leds, to be turned off/on with the footswitch and to have multiples ''out'', at least three per loop, and preferably in the center of the loops. I wouldnt mind gutting out a true power suply, but i would prefer totally doing it myself... any thaught?

And for the tuner, i los the on i intended to gut out and isntall on the board so this part will wait a bit. it would have been placed in the huge plain gap in the center of the electonic part of the board.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Nov 6, 2011,
I don't believe you can power it through just the input/output jacks so you'd need a few more wires for powering the pedals. The switches need to be SPDT ones. One of the positions going to the CHAIN, the other going to the switch for the FX LOOP. With the FX LOOP switch you'd need to do one to the IN and one to the OUT jack.

...I think
I wouldn't mess with the whole "power supply off when not turned on" thing. This will require a pretty large switch. With 2 3PDT switches you would be able to turn either path on or off as well as control the LED.

You could look into getting some of the "spider" transformers which have 8 output taps each. You could even go so far as to include the "dying" battery simulator on them. With the spider style power supply you have 8 total isolated outputs.

Information here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Spyder/Spyder.htm

Weber Speakers sells an 8 output transformer like the one mentioned here.

But be careful. You have to be sure you know what your doing with AC voltage wiring or it could be pretty bad.
if you build a pedal board, and want it to power your pedals too, make sure you make it isolated. isolated reduces the noise compared to normal daisy chaining, whih would be a big plus as well.

also having a built in looper for your board would be great as well.
Old guitar case, meet some power tools, theres your pedal board. I actually thought about doing something similar, including a footsitch for the amp too.

I think wiring that thing up would be relatively easy. And not very costly.

If your going to daisy chain you will need seperate power supplies for the effects loop and for the signal chain into the front of the amp. Or you will get ground looping problems, which is a painfully noticable 60/50hz hum. But otherwise, daisy chaining is fine for a few stompboxes, i run like 8 pedals off mine with no noise. If you're in the UK look into Johnny Shred Freak power supplies.

Otherwise it'd take a few 3PDTs and about £10s worth of jacks.

Like so, i used a 4pdt on the second switch, im not sure if it would work better, i dont see why it would, the 3pdt should work fine, and im not positive on how youd go about grounding it, personally id probaly keep the PSU ground seperate..

Thanks alot for the diagram. Can you do it without the power suply being turned off and on by the stompswitchs that controls the signal path and the leds, but on a 3rd stomswitchs wich would be for the overall power supply of the whole board?
i have a plan for something similar to this. my one suggestion would be to add a switch that combines the two sections. so if you are plugging into an amp with no effects loop, you can just put those effects after the front end effects with a flip of a switch. i drew a sketch of it at one point (that ive since lost), so i know it can be done.

as someone else mentioned, i wouldnt recomend switching the power with your bypass. not actually all that tough to do, but any way i can think of increases your part count a good bit (assuming isolated power per pedal).
though (rambling a bit here) you could use a 4PDT switch for input, output, LED and control. then have the control run to a 4PDT relay that is providing the power... (assumes 4 pedals per loop). still probably too much work to be worth it. and switching power probably is a waste anyway.
That would still be as messy as any other pedal board, the thing that makes it messy is the power adapter connections to all the pedals.