I have heard people rave about these. Those who use them say they are the best and will never switch. Today I strung my guitar with .12-.56 strings on a floyde rose bridge so that was a huge pain in the ass. I have been playing and I am still getting used to them. They are much much smaller then anything I have ever used.

Did it take anyone else awhile to get used to them? Does anyone hate them? why?
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
They're my favorite picks and i play everything from blues to punk, hard rock to thrash metal.... they don't have the "pluck" sound thinner and bigger picks do, while still having a sharp point to do pinch harmonics.

I also play weird, most people play with 2 fingers, i use my thumb/index/and middle fingers so it doesn't really move much when i play.
Ditto on the control and harmonics. I like the ultex but they are hard to find where I live so when im in a pinch i grab the eric johnson J3.
I don't really like them that much. They're not as good for chords or stumming IMO. Even though I play metal, it feels like they lack the power of a bigger pick. Chugga chuggas don't sound as full to me and the fine point gives a thinner tone to thinner strings as well.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I love them. It took me a little while to get used to not letting them slip out of my hand, but they did wonders for my playing. You cant really hide bad technique so it forces you to play cleaner. I use them for everything but acoustic playing.
i tried them, and wanted to like them, but i found i hated them. they are exceptionally comfortable, and make playing fast and clear pretty easy, but in my experience they completely slaughtered my tone (which is a pretty thick, middy clean/semi clean tone--playing a small semi-hollow through a vox or small fender amp--when i tried them out i was using flatwound 13's and dunlop big stubby picks) and weakened my articulations/overall dynamic control. I switched to dunlop stubby picks (which are a similar size to the jazz III but go up to 3 mm in thickness, which is what i prefer, ), and found they gave me the similar ease of playing and also gave me a great sound. when i switched down to 11s i tried out the jazz III again, and found that they still were tone killers, and weren't dramatically more comfortable then the stubbys (which IMO are the greatest picks ever, aside from V picks, but those are like 20 dollars each and, at my budget/pick retention rate thats in no way do-able).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Oct 30, 2011,
They're great, I alternate between those and the Dunlop Stubbies 2mm, depending on what I'm playing.
The stubbies are a lot faster and beefier for more of a chugga chugg tone, but unlike the jazz 3's, they wear down very quickly.
The first time I tried a Jazz III, it instantly made me 2 times better! Now they're my favourite pick.
I moved to Jazz III's and liked them to pieces, but didn't think they had such a good attack that some picks have because of the material.

Then I discovered the Ultex Jazz III. They're quite perfect.
I like them. I can't really play too well with other picks anymore.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I prefer the Jazz III XLs, they are about the size of a normal pick but are as thick as the Jazz IIIs
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I experimented with them years ago when I was trying to play jazzy stuff on my old Martin D-18. Not exactly the optimum guitar for that....
Anyway, they do give a nice, mellow tone and are very controllable. I was working with some of Fripp's "crafty guitar" ideas then, and I found them easy to manipulate for fingertip muting and such.
However.... I long since have abandoned that style of playing. I now do any jazzy meanderings fingerstyle and I use my flatpick for "flatpicking" in the country/bluegrass style.
You need a sharper pick for that, something that produces a bit of "ring".
(Dunlop standard nylon .88 mm)
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I moved to Jazz III's and liked them to pieces, but didn't think they had such a good attack that some picks have because of the material.

Then I discovered the Ultex Jazz III. They're quite perfect.

these are the black ones right? why do u prefer them over traditional ones. i was at guitar center looking and i saw them but just figured to go with the original jazz III.
About a year or two ago i started using jazz IIIs and loved them. Then about a few months ago I started using Dava picks, and I loved them even more. Seriously, you should get some of Dava's Jazz picks or really any of their picks. They're all fantastic.
the only problem that i have with them is that they are small enough that my long index fingernail interferes with my playing sometimes. i have a classical right hand.
Get the XL ones then.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
these are the black ones right? why do u prefer them over traditional ones. i was at guitar center looking and i saw them but just figured to go with the original jazz III.

These are the Ultex Jazz III's:

They're great. I like them because they have a much harsher, brittle attack to them which adds just that bit of high end snap to them.

The red and black ones are the right shape, but I really don't like the material because they have a warmer, more dull and less defined sound when they hit the strings, which doesn't really suit my style so much.

There's an Ultex Jazz III 2.0 now, which is black like the regular Jazz III's rather than translucent orangey brown, but I've never seen them for sale, even online.
I can only play with carbon fibre max-grip Jazz IIIs now. Anything else is too unfamiliar and unwieldy to use, now. I have my tools, and I'm sticking to 'em.

It took a bit to get used to, yes, even though I was using those tiny Dunlop Stubbies. The flatness of the Jazz III is quite different to the Stubby's bulbous tip.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I love them. Just bought a pack, then they arrived, and i found out i had bought a bunch of XL jazzpicks.. That pissed me off. Since i'm used to the regular ones. Gonna buy a new batch soon. Better do it properly this time.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
im totally in love with the jazz IIIs. I feel like ive got so much more control with them than i do with any other picks. better attack. more comfortable for string skipping. much more control of dynamics. it makes all of my righthand technique flourish. everything i used to do got so much easier and i can do things i couldn't before. hybrid picking is soooo much more comfortable.
ive used then for all sorts of styles. Blues, jazz, funk, rock, and on occasion metal.
perfect for everything.
i'd never use anything else
too much pick to wield with anything else
i only use the eric johnson signature jazz III's. i like the feel of them better and the tone.

to the person who said they kill tone and prefer big stubbys, what? ive played with those and they have some of the worst pick noise ive ever heard. talk about killing tone. jazz III's have very little pick noise, at least the EJ ones do.

jazz III's are very good picks for those who like to solo. some people dont think they are good for strumming. ive never had a problem though. im used to it.
I've been using black Jazz IIIs for about 3 years now I think, and I really really like them. Good for alternate picking and sweeps, strumming chords isn't a problem either. Does take a while to get used to them, but I never use another pick( unless I'm strumming on my acoustic guitar ).
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Dayn
I can only play with carbon fibre max-grip Jazz IIIs now. Anything else is too unfamiliar and unwieldy to use, now. I have my tools, and I'm sticking to 'em.

It took a bit to get used to, yes, even though I was using those tiny Dunlop Stubbies. The flatness of the Jazz III is quite different to the Stubby's bulbous tip.

personally, I don't care for the tone they produce. I know the grip thing is real appealing, and the people I know that use them say it helps them in playing fast, but those things are not nearly as important as the sound to me.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 3, 2011,
There awesome, I love them and I love how they make pretty much no noise when you hit the strings.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer