Okay so when I switch strings I notice that I almost always use my index when I change to a new string.

Example:
I I R I M I R I R
------------------------5--7---------------------
-----------------4--7----------------------------
----------3--5-----------------------------------
---2--5------------------------------------------
-3----------------------------------------------

Now it's not ALWAYS like this, but I've noticed myself doing it a lot. Sometimes the 4th and the 8th notes of said pattern will be my middle.

Is this a bad habit?

Edit: plucking hand, not fretting hand
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Last edited by Rawshik at Oct 30, 2011,
Not necessarily. One drawback to alternating finger string plucking is that you often end up muting the string you just finished on when you don't want to do that. By using your index finger as you move to the next string, you would avoid this problem. In the end, the only question is whether it works for you. Some phenomenal bassists have some very unorthodox techniques (i.e.; Geddy Lee) and it doesn't seem to hamper their remarkable abilities. If it works for you; go for it. If not, or if you are simply intent on changing it, then get out the metronome and start practicing drills.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
probably. But like FatalGear41 said, a lot of the greats have quirks. Geddy Lee usually plays with just one finger, Les Claypool often strums with his fingernails, etc.

Who knows, you might reinvent conventional playing. back in the day people played with their thumbs, but something happened in the 70s and people started playing with their first two fingers
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Just thought I'd clarify this as my plucking hand, not my fretting hand.

And I suppose I may "get out the metronome and start practicing drills."
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?