Errbody gives St. Anger a lot of crap. Now. I'm not really a hardcore metal fan. I don't like thrash or death metal or anything of those sorts. You know, that's just not my thing. I like the softer Metallica stuff. Nothing else Matter. Unforgiven I, II, and III. Whisky in the Jar. The God That Failed. The Day That Never Comes. That subset of Metallica. So I have a feeling my opinion won't be that valid on UG.

As a whole I really like St. Anger and my friends always give me crap for that. Well. Now that Lulu is out I feel as though I can openly flaunt my love of the album St. Anger. Because I know that no one will flame me. Because compared to Lulu, St. Anger is like Led Zeppelin IV.

That's really all I needed to say.
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Metallica are one of those bands that change genre each album.

I like all their albums. I don't understand why people dont like St Anger... I didn't even relaize there were no solos in it until i was told lol.

Some people are just narrow minded and have their heads stuck in the early 80s and expect Metallica to still be thrash metal.
Well, I'm not sure that people don't like St. Anger because it's not Master of Puupets, I think it's generaly not very popular because:

a) The sound of the drums (that snare just sounds like someone hitting the crap out of a garbage-bin lid)
b) There are no solos. WTF?
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
I dont like it because I find it boring and repetitive, the shitty sound quality is second to that for me.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
St. Anger isn't a bad album at all IMO, but it got trashed a lot because

1)Metallica released 5 awesome albums in a row (Kill Em All, MOP, RTL, Justice for all, Black Album), and then released two shit albums (Load, ReLoad). So, naturally people expected a Good album after receiving such bad music twice in a row. By good, I mean 'Master of Puppets' good. So they just didn't accept St.Anger, even though it was not bad.

2) No Solos and stuff... people couldn't accept the change.
Yay! I'm glad I don't have to make a new thread, because OP pretty much summed up what I was about to say anyways.

Without hijacking this thread, can anyone please politely tell me why so many Metallica fans don't like Load and Reload?

At the risk of sounding like a total hypocrite for my open dislike for Lulu, I really enjoyed those albums. As an engineer, I hate the idea of arguing over in-quantifiable aspects, but have always wondered what triggered the Load/Reload hatred.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
I've never understood why this is a problem.

I don't either

As an example, Mudvayne never had solos in their work until recently and that never affected their mainstream success.

*NOTE: I am not comparing Mudvayne to Metallica.*
*NOTE 2: It's sad that I have to add disclaimers to my posts to avoid starting flamewars*
Quote by CV334
Yay! I'm glad I don't have to make a new thread, because OP pretty much summed up what I was about to say anyways.

Without hijacking this thread, can anyone please politely tell me why so many Metallica fans don't like Load and Reload?

At the risk of sounding like a total hypocrite for my open dislike for Lulu, I really enjoyed those albums. As an engineer, I hate the idea of arguing over in-quantifiable aspects, but have always wondered what triggered the Load/Reload hatred.

Dude, i personally LOVE load/reload..

Load, in particular is their heaviest album IMO if you go by lyrical content.. I say it's my favorite tied with Lightening..

Lulu, well... It's something. I respect that they're standing by their 'art' and still pumping money into promoting it(especially with the newly announced music video helmed by Darren Aronofsky) after such backlash and poor sales...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiUq1iuga84

thats my take on the record itself for our podcast if anyone cared to check it out.
Quote by CV334

I just don't really like the style. Load and reload are the only Metallica albums I don't like. (not including Lulu of course)
St. Anger is nowhere near as bad as people have made it out to be. Frantic, St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster are all songs I enjoy from that album.
praise for opeth's "damnation" and "heritage" is the fall of the "people can't accept that st. anger is different" theory. in fact, opeth's "different" material is much more different from their death metal roots than st. anger/load/reload is from metallica's older thrash material.

so basically, its being different doesn't mean it sucks. its major suckage makes it suck.
I love "Load" and ReLoad" albums. I agree they're a lot different from the older albums, but the style, the solos, the ballads.. I just don't know why not like it.
St. Anger. The name implies. Snare sound? It absolutely fits the songs IMO.. it makes the songs sound even more "angry" or how I should say that.. Solos? I don't really miss them at all. Repetitive? Maybe, but just for song "St. Anger".
I love Some Kind of Monster.
Lulu? I tried to listen to it without the vocals ( I mean, Reed ones). The Riffs are great, soft. The rest, like Lou... you know when you're so bad that people want to kill you to make you stop "singing".
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
i like st. anger as well, the really big problem with it is that some of the songs are a bit too long and don't change that much. if the songs were a little bit shorter & the drum sound was fixed it could have been a lot better.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Without even getting into the music, St. Anger was horribly mastered, especially the drums. The whole thing sounds like it's clipping out horribly. They (or their producer, or some combo) basically ruined their own recording at the end of the production process.

Most poorly produced Metallica album since Justice...but at least Justice isn't clipping out (it seems to face the opposite problem: it's lo-fi sounding, and the bass track barely exists).

Also, looking at the videos they released of the production process of their more recent albums (including St. Anger), they are obviously burnt out, and clips of them in the studio make them generally look like poor musicians. Their new bassist comes off as a better guitar player than both Hammet and Hetfield combined.

/opinionatedrant
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by Reighnart
I'm not really a hardcore metal fan.

Gold.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!