I'm sure this has been posted before, but I'm an evil person, so yeah.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Zakk's live stuff, and I'm just amazed with his pinch harmonics. The ones on the lower strings (6th). I mean, I can do em perfectly fine on the higher strings, but the low D (I'm in D standard) just doesn't sound remotely close as his.

Does it have to do anything with the action? My 6th string rattles quite a lot when I play on it (except when I play it open), so should I have my action a bit higher?

Does it have anything to do with my amp? I have a Marshall JCM410C.

Any help is... helpful! Thanks!
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Pinch harmonics are all in the technique. Try checking the search bar for things you're interested in first. I see you're fairly new around here. Welcome.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqNE4N_XsY

Check that out. From the man himself. He says that they don't come out well if you have an extremely low action.
Last edited by a_hub10 at Oct 30, 2011,
Thanks man, I'll check that out.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Which string brand do you use? Some says (if you have EMGs) Dunlop and Ernie ball is the best brand for EMGs. They don't have rattle in open notes. Sorry for my bad english
Well, currently I think I have DR's, but I usually use Elixirs or Ernie Balls when I find them. I need to change strings anyway, so I think I'll get some EB 10s.
Quote by YouTube user

D'Addario are great strings. Also, if you are getting rattles when you fret, more than likely its because your string action is too low......
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I find that Zakk's pinch harmonics get very old very quickly, personally. There was a point in his career that his live shows were nearly unwatchable, especially when performing the old Ozzy stuff with all those pinches.
"Don't pay any attention to the critics. Don't even ignore them."
-Nicolas Negroponte

WHAT GETS MEASURED GETS IMPROVED
To make his pinch harmonics seem so god like he also uses a custom wah pedal that every time he does a pinch, which is constantly
to get the same sound as his pinch, along with techinque, is some pretty heavy chorus
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Daimoth
I find that Zakk's pinch harmonics get very old very quickly, personally. There was a point in his career that his live shows were nearly unwatchable, especially when performing the old Ozzy stuff with all those pinches.

im a sucker for the pinch harmonics,he does overuse them but when your zakk wylde u can get away with it,not many players could.