Hey guys, this is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain to me what does really an overdrive pedal do? Is it just used for eg. a boost when you play a solo live, or it can influence the overall tone?

I have a Marshall JCM410C tube amp, so in what ways would it affect me? Does it also influence stuff like pinch harmonics?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Overdrives have many different uses. The main idea is to push the input of the amp. Use it on a clean channel for a good crunch. Use them on a dirty channel to add gain. I use to boost my lead channel. Makes the low end much tighter.
Overdrive on it's own is less harsh than distortion, more bluesy. In front of an overdriven amp though it boosts the gain while tightening the bass.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Thanks guys, I actually always thought I need a tighter low end. Any recommendation on pedals? The Boss SD1 doesn't seem bad. :/
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

If you put two different ones in a row ( the first one having high tones, drive and low volume ; but the second one having medium tone and drive with a high volume) then you can make both bass and treble much tighter as well as hugely increasing your amps tone and volume.
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea (even though I still don't have enough money to buy 2) but I'll definitely experiment with that. Any recommendations on which OD to get?
Quote by YouTube user

The Hardwire CM-2
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
check out the ibanez tube screamer if your just looking to tighten up your signal. for an overdrive i would suggest a full tone OCD
Tubescreamer (TS9 : change 2 resistors to make it a TS808, save like $70 - $100)
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
OCD
Digitech Bad Monkey

I have a TS9DX, TS808 and Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.
I like all 3 equally. Set them for various levels of gain and tone.
yeah it normally makes the pinches jump way out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?