What is the proper way of playing octaves? For example, I play them with my Index finger on the A string and Ring finger on the G string. On youtube, I've seen people playing it differently ( with the pinky instead of the ring finger). Is what I'm playing okay?

Thanks!
What feels the most comfortable for you is the best for you. I prefer using pinky (well I don't use ring finger in power chords either), but play the way that feels good.
If it gets the job done and it's comfortable for you, it's fine.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
The way you play is fine but try using your pinky. It helps with overall control. I used to play them the same way as you but now that i've been using my pinky for quite while my overall control is much greater
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
The general rule of thumb for everything guitar related is if it feels good and works well, do it.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
If it sounds good to you, it's good enough. Having said that, I prefer using the pinky since it feels like a firmer grip. Really helps when the octaves are fast or/and involve sliding (e.g. some Rise Against songs)
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
It's situational. Playing octaved riffs can get really harmonic-ey around certain frets - the 5th, 7th, and 12th, for example. You'll want to be able to mute the offending strings with a free finger, but which finger you'll need to use will change situationally.

The moral of the story is to be flexible, and don't become married to one approach or the other.
"Don't pay any attention to the critics. Don't even ignore them."
-Nicolas Negroponte

WHAT GETS MEASURED GETS IMPROVED
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
The general rule of thumb for everything guitar related is if it feels good and works well, do it.

I disagree.

"Proper" technique (which is usually one finger per fret, so if you're playing octaves two frets apart you'd use your index and ring or middle and pinkie) exist for a reason. In this case, the issue is as you speed up, one-finger-per-fret makes it easier to keep track of where your fingers are without conscious thought.

Lots of beginners pick up bad habits because it feels better. A great example of this would be developing pinkie strength. Left to their own devices, most beginners would never develop the necessary finger strength because the way you get it to "feel good" is by playing through it feeling and sounding awkward.

The other thing about good technique is you want to develop habits that don't have to change when what you play changes. So, for example, now you're playing octaves and that's fine. But what if sometimes you embellish those octaves with the note one fret up, a little hendrixy hammer-on pull-off trill?

Now, all of a sudden, you have to re-learn how to do your octaves.

Lots of people internalize bad technique, and some are incredibly successful with it. (James Jamerson had horrible right-hand technique on the bass - didn't stop him from being the greatest bassist of all time). But if you're asking the question, and you actually want to know the right way to play it, well, there's an answer to that.