I would love to start recording but I need to work on getting equipment the problem is I don't know what a lot of recording and computer vocab so keep it easy on me.

I was thinking about getting:

Desktop POD HD

POD Farm 2.5

Pro Tools 9

A couple of questions though

1. What is iLok? Because there is an option of getting iLok in POD Farm 2.5 and protools 9. Would you recommend it? If I order one in iLok and I get one of those thumbdrive thingys with it can I use it on the other and not have to purchase the iLok version of that other?

2. Do I need POD Farm for Desktop POD HD to work?

3. Protools 10 just came out which one would you recommend I get? Protools 9 is waaaay cheaper.

4. Is there a guide or a website were i can go to and learn computer and recording vocab? I'm way behind I don't even know what bit means or even MIDI.
Almost forgot. Should I actually get protools 9 or reaper? Protools 9 might be a good investment and by the looks of it, it looks more fancy and can do anything. How bout reaper? What are the comparisons?
Pro tools is pretty much the industry standard for recording, so if you can afford it you could go for it, but if you're just starting you would probably be better off going with Reaper as it's a free trial until you choose to pay for it. The way I see it, that way you haven't committed too much expense on getting started if you decide you don't want to continue.

What are you hoping to achieve with your recording? If you want to get into recording as a specific hobby then software is the way to go, but if you just want to be able to record yourself you may be better off getting a multitracker as your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) which would do everything you need it to in a single unit which is often easier to use than a PC/interface/software combination.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 30, 2011,
I would really like it to be a serious hobby and try to start my music rolling out there and see what others think.
If you want to get seriously into it, then pro tools is definitely a good way forward, just depends if you want to spend the money straight away or not.

For the vocab part of your original post, this thread might help:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490440
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud