im so pissed right now. here is the backstory

i have a guitar - i vigorously flick up and down the pickup selector switch occasionally to free clumps of trapped dust or dirt because it sometimes doesnt register and no output comes out from my guitar.

i connect it through a korg ax1500g multi fx unit bought a month ago second-hand , looked pretty beat up when i got it

and it goes into the effects loop of a very old 30 watt practice amp.

recently , when i switched to my clean preset on my fx unit, i can hear crackling coming from the amp. so i unplugged my guitar from the korg and plugged it straight into the amp. the crackling still could be heard.

i then tried connecting my korg into the computer and recorded it on audacity. the playback still has crackling in it. and i even cranked the noise gate to maximum and its still very audible

now i plugged my guitar straight into the computer ( active pickups ). and the playback produced no cracking.

so now i don't know whether the crackling comes from my messing around with my pickup switch , a faulty second hand fx unit or an old as balls amp.

so any advice guys?

i would also like to ask :
is a guitar even capable of producing such noises?
can the fx unit or amp be repaired to remove cracking? or is it too costly ?

thanks ALOT!!!
guitar -> korg -> amp = crackle
guitar -> amp = crackle
guitar -> korg -> computer = crackle

have you tried new cables ? seems odd that all your gear would die at once

have you looked at the jack socket on the guitar to see if that could be the source of the problem? sometimes that can cause problems which don't occur all the time if the cable doesn't connect properly at some points/angles, wiggling the cable near the guitar might produce audible defects

what type of pickup selector does your guitar have? im assuming its not a fan blade; if you think thats dusty inside open it up and have a look but its more likely a connector has been bent out of shape by violent use or even some corrosion if your gear is as old as you are making it sound :/
Last edited by funeralllllllll at Oct 30, 2011,
If it really sounds like a crackle and its on all of your equipment, try changing the cable.
If it sounds more like a very loud hiss and its on all of your equipment, try changing the cable and using less distortion.

Cables vary in price for a reason.
i doubt its a cable issue, i connect my unit to the computer with a 2.5mm audio jack.

@ funeralll
its a 3 way toggle switch.

im trying to get some experienced help first before i make any drastic decisions ( eg: changing the switch , etc..) so it explains why im not travelling 50 miles to the nearest guitar shop for advice

thanks for the input btw
Last edited by noobkerpal at Oct 30, 2011,
lets just run through this:

it doesn't crackle when you are using a different cable to plug into pc
when you aren't using that it crackles..
Quote by funeralllllllll
lets just run through this:

it doesn't crackle when you are using a different cable to plug into pc
when you aren't using that it crackles..

the only time it doesnt crackle

guitar >(2.5 mm) pc( no crackle)

guitar >( guitar cable) korg > (2.5mm) >pc (crackle)

guitar >( guitar cable) korg > ( 2.5mm ) amp ( crackle)

i hope this clears things up. i connect my guitar to the korg using a regular guitar cable. and i connect the korg to the amp and computer with a 2.5mm audio cable
Last edited by noobkerpal at Oct 30, 2011,
your guitar cable seems to be the root of your problem, then.
OR
the input jack on your guitar may be loose/bent.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by noobkerpal
the only time it doesnt crackle

guitar >(2.5 mm) pc( no crackle)

guitar >( guitar cable) korg > (2.5mm) >pc (crackle)

guitar >( guitar cable) korg > ( 2.5mm ) amp ( crackle)

i hope this clears things up. i connect my guitar to the korg using a regular guitar cable. and i connect the korg to the amp and computer with a 2.5mm audio cable

Common sense and process of elimination says this is a cable issue...

It could be faulty pots/switches too, try some compressed air/contact cleaner inside.