I have a jackson kvx10 which is a decent enough guitar for me but i would like to change the seymour duncan designed pickups for something a bit better. I have looked at the dave mustaine signatures and a few other emg pickups but cant make up my mind. I need something thats tight for rhythm but very good for lead too. Any ideas?
What is your amp? Your amp tone comes first. No reason for us to recommend 300 dollar pickups if you are using a 100 dollar practice amp.
Try the Duncan Detonators....you won't have to change all your pots, and input jack. And they are quite inexpensive.
ALL the output of the invaders, while sounding much less muddy!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Sputnik1
What is your amp? Your amp tone comes first. No reason for us to recommend 300 dollar pickups if you are using a 100 dollar practice amp.

I have a line 6 spider IV 150 watt amp.
Okay, you're gonna get a lot of flack, but you definitely need to upgrade your amp.

What's your location? You can find awesome deals used on a nice little valve amp and would be much more beneficial to your sound than new pickups. What was your budget for pickups by the way?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Okay, you're gonna get a lot of flack, but you definitely need to upgrade your amp.

What's your location? You can find awesome deals used on a nice little valve amp and would be much more beneficial to your sound than new pickups. What was your budget for pickups by the way?

The amp is pretty decent for a modelling amp and I simply dont have the funds to purchase a new one. And my budget for pickups is anything between 50 and 150 pounds.
New amp. can't stand those line 6's X( i would choose my raven over it!
If you pretty much only playing thrash, you could try crate, or randall. but try them first to see if you like it.

Pickup wise, i might be pissed on here, but the TB-6 Duncan Distortion. great for lots o gain. but i don't really think its the pickups causing you tone trouble
Line 6 is just fine hes playing thrash not hendrix. I would go emg 81 and 60 you should be good with that.
Quote by shredderdan
The amp is pretty decent for a modelling amp and I simply dont have the funds to purchase a new one. And my budget for pickups is anything between 50 and 150 pounds.

New pickups won't improve your sound much since Spiders aren't particularly sensitive regarding input. They pretty much always sound the same, independant of the guitar/pups used.

This means that even if you buy 150 bucks worth of pups, you won't hear a difference (much less an improvement) worth 150 bucks.

In conclusion, if you want to actually improve your tone: Put the money on the side, and see if you can afford a decent amp somewhere in the future. Otherwise, hookers and blow, man.
Quote by TheQuailman
New pickups won't improve your sound much since Spiders aren't particularly sensitive regarding input. They pretty much always sound the same, independant of the guitar/pups used.

This means that even if you buy 150 bucks worth of pups, you won't hear a difference (much less an improvement) worth 150 bucks.

In conclusion, if you want to actually improve your tone: Put the money on the side, and see if you can afford a decent amp somewhere in the future. Otherwise, hookers and blow, man.

+1

I did something similiar to what your doing actually. just a different amp. and i can tell you from experience, it will not work.
Thats my .02

1989-1994 Peavey guitars
Quote by Briyan_15
Line 6 is just fine hes playing thrash not hendrix. I would go emg 81 and 60 you should be good with that.

EMG's into a modeler is a definite no-no!!!
Quote by Sputnik1

It doesn't necessarily sound bad, that's a myth. It's just hugely pointless with most of them (certainly with the cheaper ones).
Quote by Sputnik1

I say go ahead and put EMGs in. I changed the 500t/496r to EMG 81/60 while my Spider III was still my only amp and it sounded alot clearer. you can run EMGs though a Spider and get decent tones, and even though Line 6spiders, you can hear the difference in pickups, and if the OP doesnt drop much more than 200 into the pickups than hes good.

and youre telling me that EMGs can never sound good through an axefx?
Quote by Seanthesheep
I say go ahead and put EMGs in. I changed the 500t/496r to EMG 81/60 while my Spider III was still my only amp and it sounded alot clearer. you can run EMGs though a Spider and get decent tones, and even though Line 6spiders, you can hear the difference in pickups, and if the OP doesnt drop much more than 200 into the pickups than hes good.

and youre telling me that EMGs can never sound good through an axefx?

You are comparing an AxeFx to a Spider. I never said that.

Unless you want to increase the can of bees brutal tone, then go ahead and get the EMG's.
you plainly said EMGs through a modeller sound bad. axefx is a modeller.................

but to the topic, EMGs though a spider. yea itll work, and you can get decent tones out of it. it wont sound like a 6505 or soemthing but as long as you know how to EQ an amp then there shouldnt be problems. if you dont, then dont buy a better amp
Quote by Seanthesheep
you plainly said EMGs through a modeller sound bad. axefx is a modeller.................

but to the topic, EMGs though a spider. yea itll work, and you can get decent tones out of it. it wont sound like a 6505 or soemthing but as long as you know how to EQ an amp then there shouldnt be problems. if you dont, then dont buy a better amp

Hmm... Clearly the TS doesn't have nor has the finances to get a hold of a AxeFx. For his situation EMGs sound terrible. You are the one who needed to take it this far.

There is no reason for the TS to go and try to polish a turd by spending $200 on EMG's.
well if hes happy with his amp, and doesnt want a new amp, and only wants to change the pickups, by all means go ahead. Ive changed pickups to EMGs when I was using a spider and I immediatly noticed a difference in clarity and sound. If you cant hear a difference then I cant help you

and any changes he makes to his guitars now will still benefit him if he ever upgrades an amp. Its not polishing a turd, its fixing a problem in a way that will benefit the TS now, and in the future.