Hello MT. I was jamming lately and found quite interesting chord. Too shame, I have learned only some very basic theory, but not anything like this. I was playing on D-tuning, (DGCFAD) and found this chord:
x -8 -10- 12- x-x

So the notes are here D#, A# and F.

Could you wise tell this fool, which chord is this?

Thankfully Laterr

EDIT!!!

Sorry made quite bad typo up there. I fixed the chord.. But well, look the tabulature posted below...
Last edited by Laterr at Oct 30, 2011,
It'll be easier to rename the notes with their enharmonic equivalents.

Context? It could be either Ebadd9, F7sus4 or Bbsus4.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 30, 2011,
Here. I cannot explain this better but I hope tabulature tells more than thousand words.
Basically I started from D5.

Edit!!!

Put the pic for you mdc.
Attachments:
example.png
Last edited by Laterr at Oct 30, 2011,
I don't have GuitarPro, but if you started from D5, then went to that shape, the key signature will have 2 flats. In which case the chord will be Ebadd9.
It looks like it functions as an Ebsus2 to me because you haven't included the 3rd.

and I also recon that your tune is in the key of D minor and in 3/4 timing. just tossing it out there.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
It looks like it functions as an Ebsus2 to me because you haven't included the 3rd.

and I also recon that your tune is in the key of D minor and in 3/4 timing. just tossing it out there.

Thank you Llama for your answer. I should go and learn theory that I could figure these out by myself.
Quote by Laterr
Thank you Llama for your answer. I should go and learn theory that I could figure these out by myself.

Chilled bru. If you need some help whenever toss me a PM or something. (or musicians talk is quite friendly too )

Quote by mdc
I don't have GuitarPro, but if you started from D5, then went to that shape, the key signature will have 2 flats. In which case the chord will be Ebadd9.

2 flats could also work in the key sig on second thought, but it just depends on the direction you want to take your piece in - there's no way if telling from just this 3 chord progression.
but who cares about keys anyway?
Lol, no worries. If I'm reading that pic right, he's on a 7 string and tuned down a tone. Kinda confusing since the notation is like a tone off or something. I don't know how GP works and couldn't see the whole score with the key sig and everything.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Chilled bru. If you need some help whenever toss me a PM or something. (or musicians talk is quite friendly too ):

I will. Thank you to mdc and Llama.

PS. From now on, I visit more often at here Musician's Talk, lot of useful information down here. Including the Music Theory FAQ I spotted there .
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

Yep. Sorry for any confusion Laterr, I'm in Andy Summers mode atm lol.
Quote by mdc
Yep. Sorry for any confusion Laterr, I'm in Andy Summers mode atm lol.

No worries, you looked up it at first state, and I typo'ed that chord then...
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

On reflection, I'd also use a key signature of one flat since it has a minor tonality, but in the score I'd add a flat sign to any E notes that occur. This'll indicate the D Phrygian mode with minimum accidentals needed in the score.

That's assuming the progression stays like this for a while.