Ask your music teacher..
GCSE is similar to standard grades and from what i remember it was like grade 3 for standard grade...
Should be decent enough i suppose but your best to ask your teacher...
More marks for expression and fluency, not technicality. The extent to which you can be properly expressive with this piece is somewhat limited IMO, but should be fine for GCSE. Probs high B, if not A.

On a side note, A level music sucks ass. Unless you like studying skeleton scores of Vaughan Williams and Mozart all year that is. It even sucked the life out of blues and jazz. Youre warned mate!
Quote by demon.guitarist
More marks for expression and fluency, not technicality. The extent to which you can be properly expressive with this piece is somewhat limited IMO, but should be fine for GCSE. Probs high B, if not A.

On a side note, A level music sucks ass. Unless you like studying skeleton scores of Vaughan Williams and Mozart all year that is. It even sucked the life out of blues and jazz. Youre warned mate!

Thanks, do you have any suggestions of songs in this genre that would show expressions and fluency ?
Im doing GCSE music aswell mate. And in your genre i'd say Rise Against would be a good choice, because they use alot of dynamics.
music gcse isnt about how difficult the song is that you play. Consider that not every one in your class will be guitar players, your teacher may not be a guitar player, and the person who marks it may not be a guitar player.

I think they just want you to perform a song well. When I did GCSE music I was told that the ones that sound close to the original get better marks.
Quote by DomWhite1998
Thanks, do you have any suggestions of songs in this genre that would show expressions and fluency ?

Not off the top of my head, but I reckon the piece will be fine bro. Check with your teacher to be safe. If you are really keen on A* then just take a rockschool grade 4 piece and do that perfectly.
A monkey playing smoke on the water would pass the GCSE performance with flying colours. You'll be fine.

A level, now thats the hard stuff. Went from an A at GCSE to failing the a level... My god that was soul killing stuff. Analyzing Shostakovichs string quartet from start to finish, enough to make anybody wanna crawl in a corner and die.

The gap of the grade you perform at and the theory you're supposed to know between GCSE and A level music is bigger than than any other subject...
Probably.
I think i may have had it easy in my higher becky.
Multiple choice listening test...
Performance which was like grade 5
And an invention iirc
Didn't find it much harder..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 30, 2011,
I did mine in June and I played The Wind Cries Mary by The Jimi Hendrix Experience and I got full marks. It's up to you really, personally I think clean songs go down better with examiners.
Im worried about a song choice because at my school we are doing it early and in one year. Im in year nine and i have four lessons a week with my exams in the summer ;L
If you have access to the rock school stuff
Do that instead of a popular song. A grade 3 piece played well especially like a bluesy one with a wee spot to improvise would be perfect for this. Since the ability to improvise a solo goes down well.

Although i'm talking standard grade here not gcse but it cant be that different surely. Plus it gives you sheet music