Hi everybody. I have recently learned a bunch of songs by metallica, but for some reason i cant even begin to solo. i don't know how to approach it. take leper messiah for example. i can play the whole thing as fast or faster than the actuall song. then i get to the solo, and i try to play it, but its so fast, i just don't know how to play it! any suggestions to approach fast soloing? thanks
Grab a metronome and repeat it over and over at a slow pace. When you master it at a tempo, add some m0ar. Speed is achieved through repeats (CLEAN and fluent repeats, mind you!)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Last edited by Lewadra at Oct 30, 2011,
practice.
if it's way out of reach, then try something else, and go back to the solo later when you have become better.
Works for me
Playing lead is a very different discipline to playing rhythm, it requires you to be much cleaner, precise and generally faster, especially with (Classic) Metallica songs like lepper massiah.

Break up the solo into small sections and work on each part individually, once you have a section up to speed, move on to the next, build up your speed and accuracy and then play all previous sections together and so on until you can play the whole solo.
Quote by Lewadra
Grab a metronome and repeat it over and over at a slow pace. When you master it at a tempo, add some m0ar. Speed is achieved through repeats (CLEAN and fluent repeats, mind you!)

Quote by ProgFripp74
Playing lead is a very different discipline to playing rhythm, it requires you to be much cleaner, precise and generally faster, especially with (Classic) Metallica songs like lepper massiah.

Break up the solo into small sections and work on each part individually, once you have a section up to speed, move on to the next, build up your speed and accuracy and then play all previous sections together and so on until you can play the whole solo.

These guys got it. I emphasis CLEAN and SLOW. You need to play it accurately, if you make a mistake at a lower bpm and continue it upwards, you are going to make that mistake again and again. Don't cheat yourself because you want to learn it NOW.
Start slow, gradually speed up. Also, Leper Messiah has a sweeping section in the solo. So, begin to learn that.. slowly of course.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
It also helps if you go through the scales the solos are played in, it helps your fingers to go to the right place.

Also, don't throw yourself in to deep to early.

Maybe Fade to Black or some thing like that will make it easier to step up.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 31, 2011,
First of all don't get discouraged. It is perfectly normal.

The problem you are having is just a MENTAL problem.

I am very passionate about the human behaviour as i am to guitar playing.

By studying the 2 i have found how well they blend together.
That is the reason in free ebook i dedicated the first 2 chapters to how to achieve technical mastery.

Here is the EBOOK : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Take it and read the first 2 chapters.

Everything resumes to a quote that i think that resumes guitar mastery very well:

"Success means accomplishments as the result of our own efforts and abilities. Proper preparation is the key to our success. Our acts can be no wiser than our thoughts. Our thinking can be no wiser than our understanding”. (George S. Clason – The Richest Man in Babylon) "

You already did the action of trying the solo.

You already start thinking about what is to do in order to become better.

The thing that you probably lack is the understanding why do you have to do some things in a particular way.

The first 2 chapters will help you with this matter.

Good luck !

PS: The advices you received are the way, you just to understand WHY that is the way.