Quick question.

Is it possible to become somewhat proficient at Piano, without getting lessons or going through any of the classical grades?

I like to arse around on the Piano every now and then, I can play a few bits and pieces here and there nothing even close to head turning stuff though. kind of left hand bass note, right hand chords, really basic accompaniment, But in terms of advancing from where I am I have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

have any of you taught yourselves?

I'm not looking for flight of the bumblebee, Rachmaninoff etc. level. Just moderate songwriting ability.

what you reckon?
Definately. I don't consider myself a virtuoso by any means, but I just learned the basic chords and now I am a decent player. I have gone from writing most of my songs on guitar to writing most of them on piano.

Just learn as many chords as you can and work from there. Experiment with playing to different time signatures, learn to improvise and just have fun
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I taught myself. No idea why you can't do that. I guess some people need the help because they don't know where to start, or how to continue. But it's just like any other skill; you can learn it yourself or you can have it taught.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, I don't like the idea of being taught to play music, its about the feel bro.
i will lurk this thread...i has a keyboard...that i would like to learn....

suggest sites you self taught peoples...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by aeroslash09
Yeah, I don't like the idea of being taught to play music, its about the feel bro.

Being taught does not in any way diminish the feel of the music. It's just means to an end. It's alot easier to feel the music when you know the structure behind it, IMO.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Kensai
I taught myself. No idea why you can't do that. I guess some people need the help because they don't know where to start, or how to continue. But it's just like any other skill; you can learn it yourself or you can have it taught.

This is pretty much it. I'm confident with basic triads around the keyboard, major, minor and Dominant 7ths I can work out. but even in Cmajor when i try to step up my game a little i can't really get past left hand whole notes and right hand quarter notes.

Lessons are pretty expensive, but from what I hear they seem to be focused on grades which doesn't really interest me.
I don't see why not. If you can teach yourself to play guitar, you can teach yourself to play piano. But if it's just a bit here and there; I suggest doing what you're doing right now. If you really feel the need to progress, it's best to dedicate a bit of time and money for lessons/sheet music. I played piano for about 10 years.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Until you develop a bad habit that leads to carpal tunnel syndrome (playing a string instrument anyways).

This too.

I'm already riddled with RSI in my arms.
I highly recommend this book
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/The-Older-Beginner-Piano-Course-Level-1/313550

I know you don't live in the USA so I'm not sure how easy it is to find that sort of thing, but when I first started learning I taught myself from this book and made huge gains in only a few weeks.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Yeah I'm trying to teach myself piano too. Basically, I'm right where you are; the basic "left hand bass notes right hand chords" thing. But I've just been trying to learn some of my favorite songs and I feel like they're helping me a lot.

As a tip, get Guitar Pro, and you can get any song that is on this site tabbed out and you can have the standard notation. That's how I learned all my favorite songs. Just make sure that you transpose it into standard tuning so that the standard notation isn't off.

Good luck!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Being taught does not in any way diminish the feel of the music. It's just means to an end. It's alot easier to feel the music when you know the structure behind it, IMO.

I'm not bothered about getting lessons every week or something like that, but I hate the idea of music colleges and the like, they shouldn't exist.
Learning how to properly "cross" when doing scale runs/arpegios will probably be better for you in the long run, but you only really need a few youtube videos to get the hang of it. I'm absolutely in love with playing the Piano recently. Though i played a Steinway not so long ago, and now my home keyboard feels like a toy .
You can definitely teach yourself. A teacher could help accelerate things though.

Whether you want to play classical or not though I would recommend using it for learning. There is a lot of music in the classical repertoire and I'm sure you can find some you like and you can find examples of any technique that you might need somewhere in the repertoire.

Also, learn to read sheet music if you don't already know how then find some easy pieces and learn them one hand at a time before putting them together.