Aren't sus4 chords just inversions of sus2 chords [or the other way round]?

I've been using these chords for a long time, but never actually stumbled on this until I was messing around on a keyboard.

Asus2 - A B E
Esus4 - E A B
Esus4 in first inversion - A B E

Why are sus4 chords [or sus2, if you will] even existant if an inversion of another suspended chord is the same thing?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
i think sometimes a certain name gives better insight into how the song works, nothing more. it's like how you can say C# or Db.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Yeah it depends on context. Like depending which inversion of a major chord you play, it can kind of have a minor tonality- but it's still a major chord. (that's not the correct explanation, but I can't remember it)
the extention (sus2, sus4 etc) comes from the degrees in a scale. for example if you have the chord of A major, the a major scale is: A, B, C♯, D, E, F♯, and G♯

Asus2 you would play the 2nd degree in the scale rather than the 3rd.

as for the inversion i think its just the fact that the notes are the same in both scales so that will be why theyre the same.

no idea if that helps at all :L
Quote by 10crumsey
as for the inversion i think its just the fact that the notes are the same in both scales so that will be why theyre the same.

You mean both chords?
Quote by Woffelz
Aren't sus4 chords just inversions of sus2 chords [or the other way round]?

I've been using these chords for a long time, but never actually stumbled on this until I was messing around on a keyboard.

Asus2 - A B E
Esus4 - E A B
Esus4 in first inversion - A B E

Why are sus4 chords [or sus2, if you will] even existant if an inversion of another suspended chord is the same thing?

well, why does a triad exist in 1st inversion, when it's really "the same thing" as a triad in root position?

answer: because it's not really "the same thing".

lesson to be learned...

containing the same notes doesn't necessarily = being "the same thing".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 30, 2011,