So I was wondering, is it wrong to not want to/not feel obligated to attend a funeral of family/acquaintances you don't really know all that well? What relation calls for you to must-attend a funeral? (Immediate family and close friends?)

For example, if your mother's uncle/aunt or a cousin you met once and didn't really know all that well passed away, would you feel the need to attend?

Edit: I'm not trying to get out of a funeral, just wanted to see what your thoughts are.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Oct 30, 2011,
I once skipped a funeral of a family friend that I hardly knew about two years ago.

It still makes me feel bad to think about it.
Depends, is it open casket?

If it's closed casket, I'd be less inclined to go, but unless I had anything more pressing to do, I'd probably go anyway.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Just go.

This. You're never gonna deal with them or see them again. Might as well pay your respects.
ggg1 ggg3

Do it for your family or that relatives family then, since I guarantee that someone in your family you're close to is hurting and would be glad to see you
Quote by .Joker.
Is it weird to attend a random person's funeral?

Only if you're naked

OT: Just go to the damn funeral
Quote by ErikLensherr
Depends, is it open casket?

If it's closed casket, I'd be less inclined to go, but unless I had anything more pressing to do, I'd probably go anyway.

For me personally, I don't like being at funerals. I'll go and I like to pay my respects, but I don't like my last time seeing a person to be when they're deceased. I guess I think this way because most funerals I've gone to are open casket and you see the person. I understand funerals are for celebrating someone's life, but I prefer to remember them from everything else.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
i just go to the cemetery, i guess thats different from a funeral, but its a bit humbling to go and see all the lives lost, pay your respects for the dead, and hope that people do the same for you
The only funeral I've been to was that of my best friend's gran. I had met her a couple of times, but I was very young. Without trying to sound callous, I didn't care that she had died but I did care that my best mate was clearly hurting. I went for him, not for her.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
You're not obligated to go anything dude. It's just a mark of respect, and gives you some closure really.
If they were that distant, then it shouldn't affect you and you can feel good because you took the effort to go anyway. Shows people that you care and whatnot.
I dont ever want to attend a funeral and will refuse to go. Funerals are stupid wastes of money.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I dont ever want to attend a funeral and will refuse to go. Funerals are stupid wastes of money.

Well that's dumb.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Family is family. Doesn't matter how well you knew them.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
no need for funerals...

what does "pay your respects" even mean anyway.? You go to a funeral , listen about how "great" even the worlds biggest bastards are by the priest/imam / rabbi and then they are slowly lowered into the ground in the most cliche fashion. Don't waste your time.
Last edited by burghUK at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by burghUK
no need for funerals...

what does "pay your respects" even mean anyway.? You go to a funeral , listen about hear "great" even the worlds biggest bastards are by the priest/imam / rabbi and then they are slowly lowered into the ground in the most populer cliche event. Don't waste your time.

Let me guess, when you were a kid you were forced to go to a funeral of someone whom you didn't even like when you could've been at home playing PS1 or something.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX

For example, if your mother's uncle/aunt or a cousin you met once and didn't really know all that well passed away, would you feel the need to attend?

Using this example, you go for your mother then, to support her, because she would have known this person.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
I think it's downright disrespectful to go to a funeral of someone you barely know. Funerals are very personal and emotional events that should be reserved for family and close friends (and I mean actual family, not someone you just happen to be related to but have no real relationship with). By going to the funeral of someone you don't really care about, you're cheapening it for everyone else there.

Imagine if a close family member died, and some random dude you've never met showed up because he was your second cousin or something. Wouldn't that feel awkward? Personally I wouldn't necessarily be offended if that happened, but I wouldn't exactly appreciate them being there either.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Yes I would feel the need to attend to pay my respects and all that; however much I hate funerals.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
You should go, they're really killer.

I mean, I would die to go there again.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by KnightBand
Well that's dumb.

im one of those guys thatbelieve you should show your respect to them while theyre alive, they wont ever find out or have the ability to comprehend im standing outside their dead body. il hold on to my wonderful memories with them. theres nothing i can do at a funeral, you cant change anything. i re3alize its a place of mourning and acceptance blah blah blah , i just dont need a funeral for that stuff.