So yeah I tied a sock to my guitar when practicing a solo and suddenly it plays great past where the sock is tied. Whats happening? can i get this felling if its setup different? and is it just as simple as the action?
its cleaning up your technique for you by not letting strings ring out when you take your fingers off them, i believe

much better to learn how to do that without a sock
Why.. why would you just have the urge to tie a sock to your guitar?

Also you prob don't have great control from stopping the open strings ringing.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I've tied a bandanna to my neck to prevent unwanted open string noise.

It could be helping you by muting open notes, or it could be helping you by pushing the strings closer to the neck so the string height is lower. Perhaps you need to lower your strings if that's the case.
Quote by InfestedRabite
its cleaning up your technique for you by not letting strings ring out when you take your fingers off them, i believe

^This
I learnt about this by reading that some band records solos like this (idk who it was) and I use this trick in the studio now if it is a part w/o open strings....but it's really only good for studio uses
I use a soft hair tie around the neck at the nut to silence the unplayed strings when shredding!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

I have the felling its both lowering the strings and preventing unwanted noise, i just love the fell it's got at the moment and would like a more permanent setup?
Quote by Kilometrico
I have the felling its both lowering the strings and preventing unwanted noise, i just love the fell it's got at the moment and would like a more permanent setup?

Try the soft hair tie method I use, or Scrunchie <-spell.. I use it live and in studio you can move it onto the strings when needed then slide it up above the nut when you don't need it.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Last edited by TheFUBAR at Oct 30, 2011,
It'll stunt your technique, sir. All it's doing (as has been said above) is muting the open strings to stop them ringing. You're better to learn how to control it.
Grammar Nazi.
Wristband works nice too if you don't have a hair tie. I find the biggest benefit is with recording sweep picking solos so you don't have to spend too long getting a perfect take.