I am considering a new amp to save up for. So I thought I'd come over here and get a few opinions on whats out on there. Ive been browsing but I think Im asking the wrong question or looking in all the wrong places.

Budget?: I really dont know.. I'll assume the most I'm going to want to spend is $1000. I dont know how comfortable I would feel going much higher than that.

Genres?: Mostly Metal. Pantera, Lamb of God, Tyr, Amon Amarth, etc. I really dont want suggestions like "X guitarist uses this, so get it". I'm just looking for a good sound, not trying to be in a cover band.

New or Used?: Makes do difference to me. If its a discontinued model thats suggested, it will obviously be used but I'm fine with either.

Home or Gig?: Home mostly. I will take it out to go jam with friends (drummer and a few other guitar players in garages etc) several times a month however. I live in apartments so a combo amp is more suited for me.

Closest City?: I'm in La mirada, Ca. Surrounding cities are Whittier, La Habra, Buena Park, Lakewood, Santa Fe Springs.

Current Gear?: Guitar-Schecter Damien Fr.-this guy is gonna get replaced soon too (probbably with something that doesnt have EMG's), but that's for another time.
Amp- Peavey Vyper 75....This amp is perfect for a practice amp but its craftsmanship is horrible. It doesnt quite keep up as well as I would like in a garage either. I've just grown out of it and would like a "real" amp. (not a digital processor loaded hooked up to a speaker).

Thanks guys, hope to get some good feedback.

If you need any more info, let me know and I'll edit my post.
Last edited by zilant at Oct 30, 2011,
What we need is a budget. Even if you don't know, what is the most you'd be willing to spend. Looks like you don't need anything too powerful, a 5w amp can handle a few guitarists in a garage or you could get a 100w monster. We need a budget.........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
For a smaller amp, I would recommend the Orange Dark Terror. They are small but can put out some serious volume and distort well without blowing your face off.

For something bigger, maybe a Peavey 6505 combo and a THD Hotplate Attenulator.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
6505, 3120 and avatar or whitebox 2x12

used 6534, super sonic 60

Egnater Vengeance is out, dont know yet
used Bogner Alchemist head?
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
also edited again, I would prefer a combo amp. I live in apartments so anything with a seperate cabanit is probably a bit much than more than tolerant neigbors can handle.
dark terror or carvin v3m in 7 watt mode
super sonic 22 combo
used jvm 50 1x12?
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".