Well I want to get a new guitar, at moment i got a Yamaha Pacific pretty decent but Christmas is coming soon and I don't really want anything else so i thought a new guitar, Iv'e only been playing for about 3 months and I asked my teacher what he thinks about getting a new one and he said go for it but he said be willing to spend £1000 or even more instead of getting cheap guitars that you will just end up replacing and I have been looking at this guitar

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/gibsonlespaulstudioalpinewhite-p-1233.html

I think its pretty nice and its for the type of music i like I'm going to go down to cranes this week to test it out, but i still want someones opinion is it really worth spending this much on a guitar and i have only been playing for 3 months too or should i keep saving .
After 3 months? Wait for a year or two before you know your not going to quit.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
£1000?!?! There's no way you need to spend that much to get a good guitar, there are so many guitars right now with outstanding quality that you dont need to pay top notch prices for top notch gear. Take a look at some strat's and tele's, Ibanez's, and see if they have a second hand department. Seriously, if you've only been playing 3 months then £1000 isn't necessary, unless you've gone from 0-Paul Gilbert in 90 days
Its a decent investment. As long as you take care of it, it'll keep a good resale value. Try it first though. Hell, try everything in the store, then decide.
Anyone playing less than a year... I wouldn't recommend spending that much which turns out to be around 1600$usd.

If you want a good guitar that will feel all around better and last for yards to come get a decent guitar under 900$usd which is about 560£. Anyone who tells you to spend more is an idiot.

I've been playing for 16 years and my most expensive guitar is the warmth custom I just built and that was under 1500$. All of my guitars suit me just fine. My cheapie ibamez could use better pickups though.

Several auto correct fails there. I won't even bother fixing them. Screw you phone.
Last edited by syntheticocean at Oct 30, 2011,
So if i go to the shop test a few guitars but still like this one should i go for it ?, i have the money aswell so its not like i'm struggling to pay for it but i do admit its quite alot but i really want to get a good guitar.
Well you have to understand that a 1600$ guitar is a lot. If you split that up, 1k for a really good guitar that leaves you with a large chunk of money for an amp/effects if you need them. Or pay 1000$ for a guitar and save the rest. Down the road you will know more about guitar and be able to make a more informed decision.
So basically test a lot of guitars out for 1k and get the one that i find the best, then save for amp/effects pedal
Quote by Beatles94
So basically test a lot of guitars out for 1k and get the one that i find the best, then save for amp/effects pedal

That's what I would do. I believe you can get so much more for your money if you spent it that way. If you don't have a good amp, a 10,000$ guitar won't do anything for you.

I ultimately think you will be much happier with a whole new rig than just a guitar. 1600$ for a new guitar... Or 1600$ for a guitar, amp, and a few pedals.
Quote by syntheticocean
That's what I would do. I believe you can get so much more for your money if you spent it that way. If you don't have a good amp, a 10,000$ guitar won't do anything for you.

I ultimately think you will be much happier with a whole new rig than just a guitar.

Thanks for your help one more question how much would a decent amp be around about just a estimate and what brands are good ?
I'd say get an LTD or Schecter model, and then save for an awesome 1x12 or 2x12 tubed combo amp
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Beatles94
Thanks for your help one more question how much would a decent amp be around about just a estimate and what brands are good ?

ok for starters i agree that spending that kind of money after only 3 months of playing is foolish and unnecessary. you can find a decent guitar for far less.

as for the amp well get youself a good affordable low wattage tube amp. check laney as you are in the UK. you won't need anything more for the forseeable future.

perhaps what your guitar teacher meant was that if you get serious about guitar then you could end up spending that kind of cash. well unless of course he just happens to work at the guitar store you would be buying this at. at any rate i think it was poor advice.
I can get that exact same guitar for $850 (us),used. Are you looking used? If its a christmas present, pffft, why not get it if you like it. Though you could get a good guitar and amp and a couple years of lessons with the same amount of money
i think i might just go with £500 on guitar maybe a telecaster because i like them and £500 on amp
Quote by Beatles94
i think i might just go with £500 on guitar maybe a telecaster because i like them and £500 on amp

That is a great idea. There are some amazing telecasters in that price area. I'd think that is your best option.

A £500 guitar will PLAY the same as one twice its price if you have it set up by a professional so don't worry there. As for the hardware, Fender is pretty reputable for putting good parts in all of their guitars above the extremely cheap ones.

Get what YOU want. Forget your teacher. Forget us. Go play a bunch of guitars. Try to not look at price tags. When you finally decide on one specific guitar, look at the price. If thats out of your range then move on. I have played 500$ guitars that I liked more than 1500$ guitars. Hell, I bought a cheap Ibanez RGA42FM simply because I loved the way it felt. It needs a pickup swap, but the body/neck FEEL like a 1000$ guitar and I can make it sound that way with good pickups. So ultimately price is a joke to me. I don't care that my friends have 4000$ Gibsons. When we jam together they pick up my Warmoth EVERY time. Get what makes YOU happy. However, before paying for it, at least go online and make sure your store isn't jacking up the price.
i understand wantng new higher end gear, but with three months of playing, i bet you ddont even know what to look for, what it should feel like in your hands, what components are on that guitar that aren't on another and which is better and why. you can always save your money, you dont have to spend it right away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Beatles94
iv'e decided to get a good amp at around £500 keep the guitar i have now then save for like 2 years and by then i'll be more experienced and now more about guitars.

iv'e been looking at this amp sounds really nice
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=09080711281029
and i'm just wondering if its a good choice, has anyone got this amp whats it like ?

Good choice but you should probably make another thread in GG&A and list the requirements (which you can find in the stickys)
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Beatles94
iv'e decided to get a good amp at around £500 keep the guitar i have now then save for like 2 years and by then i'll be more experienced and now more about guitars.

iv'e been looking at this amp sounds really nice
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=09080711281029
and i'm just wondering if its a good choice, has anyone got this amp whats it like ?

the Marshall Haze has a pretty crappy reputation. very fizzy distortion. a good amp for you will depend on what you want out of it sound wise. once again you only have 3 months in and need to find your way some before you can make an informed decision.
Quote by monwobobbo
the Marshall Haze has a pretty crappy reputation. very fizzy distortion. a good amp for you will depend on what you want out of it sound wise. once again you only have 3 months in and need to find your way some before you can make an informed decision.

I'm looking for a good overall amp pretty much, any you could recommend for £500, I now I've been playing for 3 months but I would rather get a good amp now so i could save for a good guitar in the future
Try before you buy. The Les Paul is pretty heavy so be sure you can handle it and yes it's a good buy. It'll hold its resale value better in case you don't cut it. You may only played three months but a good guitar will keep you on it. Never mind the budget stuff, I learned the difference when I got my $1200 guitar and I will not look back.

It's nice to have a tube amp but be prepared to care for it, it's delicate and the new production tubes don't last as long as you'd like.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+