Is there a difference between extended range guitars and extended scale guitars?

My friend explained to me that extended range guitars are electric guitars with more than 6 strings (ex: http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptor727rntribalred.html), and extended scale guitars have 6 strings, but longer necks (ex: http://www.rondomusic.com/harm1natashextended.html).

I always thought the scale and range were interchangeable. Would anyone like to clear this up for me?
Extended range is simply adding notes above or below the normal. Extended scale is often desirable for maintaining the tension on lower-tuned guitars, or for making easier shredding (slightly more room between frets)

Edit: Furthermore, you can combine the two- some 8-string guitars have an extended scale on the low-tuned side of the neck and a shorter scale on the high-tuned side. This massively improves intonation, and again helps with the correct tension. These are called extended range & multiscale guitars
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Oct 30, 2011,
Ah, so they are different. Thanks.

Say I picked up an extended scale 6 string guitar...would I be able to play it in standard tuning without any neck problems?
Quote by ProtoCosmos

Say I picked up an extended scale 6 string guitar...would I be able to play it in standard tuning without any neck problems?

Maybe look at baritone guitars have an extended scale length, assuming I understand what you mean correctly. With the right set up/strings, it should be fairly simple to use it in standard. Never tried it myself, but there's no obvious reason that makes it impossible.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by ProtoCosmos

You can get extended scale guitars that are tuned for standard also, though the string tension will likely be a little different. This can be solved by swapping gauges, though
Quote by ProtoCosmos

As long as your fingers are strong enough. Guitar necks can take a lot more tension than people realize (Dick Dale has used a .016 set on the same guitar since the 1960s!) and most extended scale necks are reinforced with graphite rods for people who want to really push it.
Quote by ProtoCosmos

Yes you'd be fine, you can use super light gauge strings too which is always cool.
Your neck will be fine. It's the string that may need a bit of adjusting. How long will your neck be? My 27" neck can handle a high G above the high E well. A 30" will handle a high E well, as well. Just adjust your strings if you need to counteract the extra tension from the extra length.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221