So I just brought one of these home, and I was pretty impressed and liked some of the sounds a lot, except for ONE thing that's proving to be a major annoyance.

The thing makes a lot of noise on high gain settings, which is really what I bought this amp for; metal. It's like a hissing or crackling noise that starts up mostly whenever a note is fading away or when I end it. The noise described is most noticeable if I just play a muted low E string, for example, or any palm muted note. When the tubescreamer setting is on (which i really want to like), this sound is more noticeable x10, and I can hear the hiss a little while actually playing a song like Six by All that Remains. It is pretty silent if don't play anything and just sit there, however.

Is this normal for this amp? Has anyone had similar trouble and knows if there's anything I can do? I heard this amp had a built in noise gate that could be causing some of this...

I appreciate any input on the issue
I've got a Vypyr 75 and haven't had any of these problems. What kind of pickups do you have on your guitar? Those could be to blame.
It's an Ibanez RG2Ex1 with stock pickups, which I think are passive? All I Know sorry. My replaced crappy 15w spider III didn't make these noises with the same guitar BTW.
Take it back and try a different one to see if its this particular amp. If the other one works great then its your amp, otherwise its your guitar or gear. Could be anything.
Hmmm it might be a defect in the amp I guess. Try taking it back like Sputnik said and see if you still have the same problem with a different one.
Thanks. I will try taking it back, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some reason. I just tried plugging in my fender squire and the noise got absolutely ridiculous which tells me its at least partly my guitar. But what the heck am I supposed to do about it? buy better pickups?
Quote by Sisqo102
Thanks. I will try taking it back, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some reason. I just tried plugging in my fender squire and the noise got absolutely ridiculous which tells me its at least partly my guitar. But what the heck am I supposed to do about it? buy better pickups?

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could clean up some of the soldering work if there are some bad connections. Otherwise you probably should take it to a tech.
quick question, what amp model are you using and what are your gain settings? THis might be an easy fix :P
Any noise presented to the input will be amplified along with the signal. On high gain settings the noise is more pronounced. Have you tried other guitar cables? Checking all the wiring in your guitar and cleaning its socket are worth trying too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
quick question, what amp model are you using and what are your gain settings? THis might be an easy fix :P[/QUOT

I usually have it on the 6505 model, with like 12 o'clock post-gain and pre-gain at about 3 o'clock. What fix were you suggesting?

I haven't taken the thing back yet because I'm lazy and still messing around. I could try looking at my guitar wires too but I don't wanna mess anything up, and currently I use a pretty long cable to connect to my amp if that makes any difference.