so i gotta do a research paper on the supreme court (particularly from 1790 - 1850). i've already gone over how it was formed (article 3 of the constitution), the judges, the chief justice, how they choose cases and 3 cases ( Marbury v. Madison, of Dartmouth vs. Woodward and McCulloch vs. Maryland.

im still 240 words short and i'm out of things to go over. ideas?
Shouldn't you have a thesis to work from and not just be compiling a bunch of random information?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Shouldn't you have a thesis to work from and not just be compiling a bunch of random information?

he didn't ask for one. he just said to give info on your topic. and 'supreme court' doesn't exactly narrow it down much :/
I think it might be worth mentioning that while all 3 branches of government (judicial, legislative, executive) work within a system of checks and balances (meaning that each branch has some way of keeping the others power in check, e.g. the presidents power to veto laws from the legislative branch), the supreme court goes unchecked. Meaning, there are no measures to counteract it's power.

When my political mentor told me that, I was like

You could also get into how some supreme court rulings are perceived as "unconstitutional" and you could get into how it affects peoples lives today e.g. the Troy Davis case.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Last edited by son_of_bodom at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
You've gone over three court cases and you stil have 240 words left?

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by son_of_bodom
I think it might be worth mentioning that while all 3 branches of government (judicial, legislative, executive) work within a system of checks and balances (meaning that each branch has some way of keeping the others power in check, e.g. the presidents power to veto laws from the legislative branch), the supreme court goes unchecked. Meaning, there are no measures to counteract it's power.

Is the supreme court not part of the judicial branch of government?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by son_of_bodom

Andrew Jackson would like to have a word with you...
Quote by son_of_bodom

Oops. Should have put a condom on before you shot that comment out.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Dirge Humani
It is.

There are substantially fewer checks on it than there are on the other two, though.

why fewer checks??
Quote by Lemoninfluence

The supreme court only deals with cases pertaining to the U.S. Constitution. They have the power to completely overturn a law passed by congress if they feel it violates the constitution (i.e. Judicial Review).
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
Quote by son_of_bodom

When my political mentor told me that, I was like

You could also get into how some supreme court rulings are perceived as "unconstitutional" and you could get into how it affects peoples lives today e.g. the Troy Davis case.

only problem with that part is is confined to those 1790 - 1850
Quote by WaterGod
The supreme court only deals with cases pertaining to the U.S. Constitution. They have the power to completely overturn a law passed by congress if they feel it violates the constitution (i.e. Judicial Review).

Judicial Review itself isn't framed in the constitution. I find that hilarious, that technically the ability to judge constitutionality isn't constitutional.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Yes, generally speaking though, the president chooses supreme court justices and the power of judicial review is expansive, vague and almost absolute. In addition, the supreme court justices serve life long terms, this leads to a general consensus that the supreme court goes unchecked.

Quote by L2112Lif
Judicial Review itself isn't framed in the constitution. I find that hilarious, that technically the ability to judge constitutionality isn't constitutional.

But in the constitution it says that the purpose of the judicial branch is to interpret the law, I guess judicial review extends that power to laws even made by congress
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Last edited by son_of_bodom at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by son_of_bodom

But in the constitution it says that the purpose of the judicial branch is to interpret the law, I guess judicial review extends that power to laws even made by congress

The Constitution gives the JBranch the ability to interpret the law as made by Congress, Judicial Review lets the supreme court interpret the constitution. Review isn't expressly framed in the constitution, it was the decision Marbury vs. Madison which established the practice. Before this, the Supreme Court was nearly powerless (And one could argue that it still is, and that no executive has had Andrew Jackson-sized balls to tell the court to go f*ck themselves).
This is what I know of the Supreme Court: Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court has the final saw on the constitutionality of something, we've just accepted it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK