Page 1 of 2

http://www.BaronCustomAmps.com
About Baron Custom Amps

David Woodhouse is the designer and builder behind Baron Custom Amps. Having played guitar himself for 22 years, Dave’s love of all things electronic began as a teenager. Always tinkering with electronics, he began building effects pedals as a teenager, and eventually made his way up to amplifiers.

He has always modified tube amps that he purchased to his liking, so building his own amplifiers was the next step. He has created amplifiers that are easy to use, sound great, and have great flexibility for today's guitarist.. Custom options with the customer’s specifications are available. The amps are designed and hand built here in the USA one by one, using the best components for best tone and reliability.

Dave takes pride in building quality amplifiers that you will enjoy playing through. At Baron Custom Amps, tone is the number one priority. Whether you are looking for jangly clear clean tones, gritty blues or fire-breathing high gain metal tones, we have the amps that deliver. Instead of everyday clones, we strive to make something different that will give a pleasing yet unique sound. Please take some time to explore this site and if you have questions about any of our products, please contact us. You can be assured that your questions will be answered personally.

We use high quality parts including 3-amp 1000V ultra-fast recovery diodes in the power supply for reliability and super low noise floor. This results in much improved bass response. We use high quality transformers made by Heyboer and Magnetic Components wound to our specifications for the best possible tone and reliability.

Every aspect of our amps from the eyelet boards to head shells are 100% handmade by us here in the USA.

M Series Amps

The MII series are versatile amps that covers a large palate of tones. They come in 60 watt models (MII 60) and 100 watt models (MII 100). They can use various types of power tubes (EL34/6L6GC) and have versatile voicing options for every player's needs.

Each channel is completely separate with its own tube stages and tone stacks for no compromise in tone or versatility.

The clean channel gives you pristine squeaky clean tones to warm bluesy with a little breakup. Great for all kinds of music.

The crunch channel takes you from nice tight overdrive to modern metal tones. Dual gain and level controls allow the player to have two different gain settings and volume settings, almost like having two high gain channels. The distortion is tight articulate and full of warm harmonics. The gain structure of this channel is voiced for hard rock to today's modern metal. This includes all the "drop-D and C" tunings.

Power amp voicing with presence thrust and responses control adds more flexibility. The thrust control adjusts the low end response of the amp as well as the presence for the high end response of the amp. The response switch allows how tight the power amp reacts, for even more options in tone.

B Series Amps

The B60/120 series are versatile amps that covers a large palate of British amp type tones. They can use various types of power tubes and has versatile voicing options for every player's needs.

Each channel is completely separate with its own tube stages and tone stacks for no compromise in tone or versatility.

The clean channel gives you pristine warm squeaky clean tones to warm bluesy with a little breakup. Great for all kinds of music.

The crunch channel takes you from vintage crunch , all the way to modern hot rodded british high gain tones. Dual gain modes (Medium and High) allow the player to set the amp up just right for the type of tones you are looking for. The Vintage and Modern voicing add to the flexibility of the crunch channel. The distortion is tight articulate and full of warm harmonics.You can go from clean mild breakup to chewy ballsy high gain tones The gain structure of this channel is voiced for vintage rock, all the way to modern hot rodded searing lead tones.. The full "british" spectrum of tones are available here!

Power amp voicing with presence thrust and responses control adds more flexibility. The thrust control adjusts the low end response of the amp as well as the presence for the high end response of the amp. The response switch allows how tight the power amp reacts, for even more options in tone.

Sound clips: Recorded through a closed back 2X12 with Vintage 30's at moderate volume. Carvin Bolt Stat with Seymour Duncan Custom Humbucker for High gain tones, Carvin Single Coils for clean tones.

K Series Amps

The Baron Custom Amps K88/K2 series amplifiers are for players who are serious about full out high gain tones with authority, articulation and harmonic response. These amps are for full out rock and metal. Born from the MII Series the, K88/K2 amplifiers are ready to roll!

The clean channel gives you pristine warm squeaky clean tones to warm bluesy with a little breakup. Great for all kinds of music.

The Lead channel is very articulate tight and full of sustain and harmoinics. No flubby bottom end. The mid scoop option further enhances your tones for todays modern detuned music. The lead channel handles low tunings with ease and still retains the punch tightness and clarity. Optional Dual Gain controls and level control further increase the flexibility by allowing the player to switch on the fly between 2 different gain and level settings. The gain is very open but tight, somthing you don't find in many amps.

A boost control increases the gain slightly and gives the amp a forward mid range presence that tightens up the tone and gives more focus. Great for switching on when soloing! On amps with the Dual gain option, the Gain Boost is automatically engaged when switching to the "Gain B" setting.

Power amp voicing with presence thrust and responses control adds more flexibility. The thrust control adjusts the low end response of the amp as well as the presence for the high end response of the amp. The Poweramp Voice switch allows how tight the power amp reacts, for even more options in tone.

Effects Loop that is fully transparent and pedal/rack friendly and can be fully bypassed if desired.

The K88 model has 2 KT88's running at 70 watts output (80 watts max). The K2 is the 120 watt version with 4 KT88's..

DHG Series

The Baron Custom Amps DHG series amplifiers are for players who want nothing but gain! Two independent high gain channels allows the player to coverall all the bases. From vintage rock to full blown drop heavy tunings, the DHG is up for the challenge!

Like the K88/K2 series but also like the the B60/120 series? With the DGH, you can have both!

The Vin/Mod high gain channel is the same high gain channel found on the B60/120 series amplifiers. The Vin (vintage) mode allows you to have semi-clean to warm blues to crunch tones. The MOD (modern) mode takes you into 80 metal to heavy modded british high gain tones!

The Modern high gain channel is voiced for today's heavy tones. This is the same channel found on the K88/K2 series amps!This channel is very articulate tight and full of sustain and harmonics. No flabby bottom end. The mid shape control further enhances your tones for today's modern de tuned music. The lead channel handles low tunings with ease and still retains the punch tightness and clarity. Dual Gain controls and level control further increase the flexibility by allowing the player to switch on the fly between 2 different gain and level settings. The gain is very open but tight, something you don't find in many amps.

A boost control increases the gain slightly and gives the amp a forward mid range presence that tightens up the tone and gives more focus. Great for switching on when soloing! On amps with the Dual gain option, the Gain Boost is automatically engaged when switching to the "Gain B" setting.

Power amp voicing with presence thrust and responses control adds more flexibility. The thrust control adjusts the low end response of the amp as well as the presence for the high end response of the amp. The Power amp Voice switch allows how tight the power amp reacts, for even more options in tone.

Effects Loop that is fully transparent and pedal/rack friendly and can be fully bypassed if desired.

The K88 DHG model has 2 KT88's running at 80 watts output. The K2 DHG is the 120 watt version with 4 KT88's..
Last edited by kylendm at Oct 30, 2011,
More K88

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=11518

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=11895

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=10032

Snott Watt

Single channel dual gain mode 12BH7 Push/Pull 5 to 7 watt amplifier.

100% Tube signal path No Diodes or SS components

3-12AX7A preamp tubes and 1 12BH7 push/Pull power tube.

Vintage Gain Mode: Clean to crunch.

Modern Gain Mode: Crunch to Metal

Dual gain Controls, Treble boost, gain modes, dry/wet settings.

Dummy load for use as a preamp and or line out.

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=9278

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=9264

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=8704

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=8703

Last edited by kylendm at Oct 30, 2011,
that Snott Watt sounds great! I didn't see that on the Baron site. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of that amp? Also what are the specs on it?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
that Snott Watt sounds great! I didn't see that on the Baron site. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of that amp? Also what are the specs on it?

$600 for me, may have changed since. Contact him on his website.

Quote by mulefish
How do they sound for lower gain stuff?

Quote by Ippon
Very nice! Still listening ...

BTW, how does it compare to the SLO100?

Both of your questions have been answered in the edited posts above

And I'm only on every now and then. Figured Baron could use a little thread of its own.
Quote by kylendm

Yea, heard those when you jammed(?) with Min. The SLO sounded a bit muddy. o_0

I meant how did the SLO sound/feel to you, live?
i like the baron. it's kind of a different thing the slo lead channel.

i remember it being kind of between the slo and the fryette.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I liked the SLO but it was a bit too tight and dry for my taste. Just not enough saturation, not wet enough. I liked my K88 more. The Ultra-Lead held strong next to the K88 though. Still liked the K88 better though. That may just be me though, everyone has a different opinion!
ya they are all kind of the in the same vein. once you hit diezel you start getting something really different.

i'd say the slo is bit lighter then the k88 too. if you turn the treble up you get a really high gain bright cutting in your face 80s thing going.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pioL1uaGJ4M
Ehh I got my hands on a Diezel Einstein. Still liked the Baron more....

That did sound good though. I know the SLO has potential when you dial it in right. I mean we kinda just ****ed around when we did that shoot out. I know it sounds real nice dialed in.
word.

I actually liked the einstein a lot. it was woofy and bassy as hell but I liked that it was still tight no matter what.

although, i don't like the pitbull's high gain channel as much as i used to.

oh wells.
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya they are all kind of the in the same vein. once you hit diezel you start getting something really different.

i'd say the slo is bit lighter then the k88 too. if you turn the treble up you get a really high gain bright cutting in your face 80s thing going.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pioL1uaGJ4M

This dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4N0fo44ARk&feature=related

Have you played the Herbert yet?
Hey min, I just contacted Dave because he came out with an Aggression mod for the B series amps. I was wondering if the mod could be done with my amp. Here's his response.

Hey Kyle,

The aggression mod was done on a B60 amp which has a smoother gain
structure. Your amp already has a more aggressive gain structure. But your
amp is also one of the few lower gain versions. So if you did at one point
want to send it in for service I coud make it the high gain version.
Slightly more compression and more sustain.

Dave

So the amp itself could have more gain/compression/sustain and stuff. I asked if he could show me what's switched around I might go at it myself. If I do I'll do a reamp of before and after clips. Should be interesting if he says cheahh.
Last edited by kylendm at Oct 31, 2011,
ooh you should do that.

I thought your amp should be able to have more gain and a bit more compression on top.

it's like just that extra pinch for single note lead work as opposed to chuggachugga.
Yeah hoping that can be done. Starting to get into more lead work anyhow rather than br00tzchugzzzz all the time. Also going to install a pot where the brightness is tamed so I can sweep from dark to bright.
Do they still make the Snott Watt? I thought it had been discontinued which is why I haven't recommended it for quite some time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Discontinued? Nah there's a video he did on his channel of one from about 2 months ago. He still makes them. :P

Infact...

Well there's your metal amp for the bedroom kiddies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Saw thread title...

"Baron? Must be a Kylen thread..."

*clicks* "Yup."

I'd love to get my hands on a Snott Watt someday soon. Or any Baron for that matter...

EDIT: Just double checked the prices...holy balls...didn't realize they were that inexpensive.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Oct 31, 2011,
Yeah man. Very decently priced. I could pickup a Snott Watt in 2 paychecks easy... Got my own place though now so things aren't that easy anymore
Yea, I'm planning on moving out in the next year. Which is why I'm buying gear like it's canned food during the apocalypse right now.

Regardless, I now have a new recommendation for <$2000 high gain amps.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah man times are rough and same with the family. I'm only 20 and living on my own but I have a nice living here for the past month or so. Once my second job settles in I think things will be on the right track.

The K88 is killer but lately I've been leaning toward the B series for some reason. I feel those amps would be more versatile for getting mid gain tones as well as modern and high. The K88 rips for modern and clean but the mid gain tones just aren't really there.
I had a poke around the Baron site and can't seem to find the Snott Watt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah it's not on the site because it hasn't been updated in some time. If you need to know anything just post on here or you can ask Dave yourself.
I was just hoping to find it so I can link to it when people want that sort of amp. I used to link them to the NAD you did on yours but that was ages ago now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I so want a snott watt.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by kylendm

The K88 is killer but lately I've been leaning toward the B series for some reason. I feel those amps would be more versatile for getting mid gain tones as well as modern and high. The K88 rips for modern and clean but the mid gain tones just aren't really there.

Precisely what I've been thinking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
First I discovered Splawn Amps, now these? Jesus Christ! What a beautiful world...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Page 1 of 2