So right now I have my Ibanez IC400...and I love the guitar...it's just that it's aging. The tuning machines are starting to go bad and the input jack needs to be replaced...but I got an idea...
I thought "instead of fixing up my current guitar, why not sell it, buy a cheap guitar, and customize it?"

So the idea is that I'm going to sell my IC400 and pick up an Epiphone G-400 SG and change the pups/hardware.

I'm going for a more metal/hard rock set up so I thought about tossing a Duncan Distortion SH-6 in the Bridge with a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck, and I'd just change out other hardware for higher quality stuff.

What do you guys think about this idea/set up? I know my post is kind of vague, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

Help? Anyone?
I dont know those guitars, but if you'r guitar doesn't suit you you might as well change... I changed a few times untill i found what worked for me.

The output jack (not "input") probably just needs a little cleaning / re soldering or adjusting depending on what's wrong.

what is going wrong with the tuners?

Those 2 problems probably dont warrant selling a guitar, easy fixes, but if the guitar isn't for you... then why not.
---
i think it would be a waste. if you like what you have got, why try something else? new set of tuners $50 for some really nice tuners (you could find some for $20 if you wanted to), and i bet nothing is wrong with your output jack. i bet all you need to do bend the prong tighter so it will hold the cable better. pickup some deoxit (electronics cleaner) follow directions and clean posts, switches and the conatacts of your jack. even if that doesn't solve the jack issue a new jack can be had for $4-$5, and a 2 minute soldering job.

thats what i would do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
first off, a jb in the neck just doesn't sound too good most of the time...

lets do a little bit of math here:
- G-400 (used in decent shape): $200-250
- Duncan JB: $75
- Duncan SH-6: $75
- switch and input (they suck on epiphones, always have to go): $20
total: $370-$420 your guitar is worth somewhere in the $300 range, so at best you'll be spending breaking even as compared to repairing your guitar (input is $5, tuners are $50). thats hardly a huge saving...

really though, if you love the guitar and you like how it plays, it would be silly to sell it to buy a project. be smart and fix your guitar up!
hahah funny I always thought it was output jack...learn something new every day.
Anyway, the problem with the jack is that it's fully enclosed. My strat had the same problem but all I had to do for that one was just push the pin in a bit and clean it. I can't do the same on my Iceman. I'd have to order the part from Ibanez.
The tuners are just aging. They're going out of tune pretty quickly now.

The main thing with the change is that I'm searching for my own sound now and I feel like I can do that much better if I basically start from scratch. Also, my friend and I are making a new band and I don't know...I just have a sound in mind that I'm almost obsessed about getting right now.

Oh and sorry I meant Duncan SH-2 Jazz Pickup in the neck.
Last edited by tMLeaf at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by tMLeaf
hahah funny I always thought it was output jack...learn something new every day.
Anyway, the problem with the jack is that it's fully enclosed. My strat had the same problem but all I had to do for that one was just push the pin in a bit and clean it. I can't do the same on my Iceman. I'd have to order the part from Ibanez.
The tuners are just aging. They're going out of tune pretty quickly now.

The main thing with the change is that I'm searching for my own sound now and I feel like I can do that much better if I basically start from scratch. Also, my friend and I are making a new band and I don't know...I just have a sound in mind that I'm almost obsessed about getting right now.

what amp are you running at the moment? that will change your sound ten fold of a different guitar most of the time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what amp are you running at the moment? that will change your sound ten fold of a different guitar most of the time.

That's another major change I'm making. Right now all I have at home is a Fender 25R, but I'm planning on picking up a Behringer GMX212. Or something of the like. I'm 85% set on getting the GMX212.
Quote by tMLeaf
That's another major change I'm making. Right now all I have at home is a Fender 25R, but I'm planning on picking up a Behringer GMX212. Or something of the like. I'm 85% set on getting the GMX212.

i wouldn't touch that behringer with a 10 foot poll.

what is your budget for an amp?

if your budget is relativly small, a Peavey Vypyr/Vox Valvetronics/Roland Cube of whatever size you want would be a good way to go. they are all modeling amps and give a wide variety of sound.

i still stand with my other comment, dont ditch that guitar for a new one to mod.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by tMLeaf

ok nothing wrong with searching for your sound but unless it's cleverly hidden at the bottom of the barrel then you won't be finding it with that amp.

as for the guitar dude get yourself a decent guitar modding a cheapie is fun but if you ware looking for your "sound" then start with a good guitar and save the fun for later. your plan so far seems like a waste of money that you will get bored with after a while.
definitely invest in a better amp first (and no, the behringer is not a good amp. at all. crap really). go to a shop and play every amp in your budget and 25% over. you may find that spending a little extra money on the amp will go way further than you think.

either way, plugging any guitar into a crappy amp will result in a crappy tone. you may as well save yourself the grief of learning that first hand.