I'm really liking this progression but I can't find what key it's in; the progression is as follows:

C E Am F

If anyone could help me figure it out it'd be appreciated, I need to know it for a class.
It's in C major just with a secondary dominant

I - V/vi - vi - IV
Quote by xGoozx
It's in C major just with a secondary dominant

I - V/vi - vi - IV

Thanks for the reply! What exactly is a secondary dominant?
In this context, its the E chord.

Why? well....
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Um...it's basically used to briefly tonicize a chord. You know how with a standard circle of fifths progression the dominant leads to the tonic, V - I? It's the same thing except instead of the tonic of the key, the dominant chord will lead to another chord so that chord will sound like tonic.
So using the chord progression you have, C E Am F. The E functions as a dominant to the Am as in the key of Am, an E major chord is it's dominant.

If that didn't make sense, google it!
Quote by xGoozx
Um...it's basically used to briefly tonicize a chord. You know how with a standard circle of fifths progression the dominant leads to the tonic, V - I? It's the same thing except instead of the tonic of the key, the dominant chord will lead to another chord so that chord will sound like tonic.
So using the chord progression you have, C E Am F. The E functions as a dominant to the Am as in the key of Am, an E major chord is it's dominant.

If that didn't make sense, google it!

Thank you for explaining it better than i could. I got stuck in a circle of repetition with the words "dominant, A minor Emaj, and brain fart."
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.