Any opinions on these two?

I have the Jackson sl3 soloist and it has the TB-6 in the bridge which I assume is an update as they supposedly came with the TB-4. The guitar was bought brand new so it's not a mod. So fire away, I'm all ears (and stuff)
TB-6 is much better IMO. Doesn't have the nasty mid spike the JB does, hence, I like the Distortion better. Tight as all hell too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Cheers man, you mean that mid range honk? They're both the TB versions too, no jb's in sight.

Now what about the other 52 people who viewed the thread?
i have never tried the TB-6 but i have the TB-4 in 2 of my guitars...one of them in E standard and the other in drop B. it's ok-ish but i think it will depend what you'll play with it. i like the clearity it has, but for me its not...god i cant find the word im looking for...its not...it doesnt sound as heavy as i would like! i KNOW its a good pick up but as it is for so many things....it just doesnt cut it for me. i'd say go to a guitar shop that sell jackson guitars and you can be sure you'll find something with the TB-4, try it out and see if you like it or not.
This is my sig....i'm not a funny man
i've heard some people say that the distortion is just a jb with a ceramic magnet. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it is, swapping the magnet would be the thing to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by oneblackened
TB-6 is much better IMO. Doesn't have the nasty mid spike the JB does, hence, I like the Distortion better. Tight as all hell too.

+1.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Twidler
They're both the TB versions too, no jb's in sight.

Eh? The TB-4 and SH-4 are both JBs. Why does it being the trembucker version make it not a JB?

And I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you asking whether you should put it back to its stock configuration? Do you not like the TB-6 that's in there now?
Well when I was on the seymour site it talks about the TB being an altered version to compensate for the floating bridge, like the EQ has been altered or something like that but yeh, you're right, that was a daft comment.

As for why I'm asking I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinions on them, seeking that elusive ultimate sound that causes me to spend loads of money then change my mind lol.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've heard some people say that the distortion is just a jb with a ceramic magnet. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it is, swapping the magnet would be the thing to do.

Apparently they're a LITTLE different but quite similar, according to MJ from SD.

^No, it's just F-Spaced as opposed to being normal spaces.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Twidler
Well when I was on the seymour site it talks about the TB being an altered version to compensate for the floating bridge, like the EQ has been altered or something like that but yeh, you're right, that was a daft comment.

Yeah, as oneblackened said, the TB versions just increase the spacing between the pole pieces slightly, so as to better line up with the strings on most vibrato-equipped guitars.

As for the pickups, I've got a TB-4 in my DK2M, and I like it, but I haven't tried many of the alternatives. I know a lot of the other guys on the JCF are fond of the Duncan Custom and Custom 5 in the bridge positions of their Jacksons.
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
Apparently they're a LITTLE different but quite similar, according to MJ from SD.

yeah i'd be inclined to believe that. When they do a model which is the same but with a different magnet they make it pretty clear (all the customs).

Still might be worth a try, if it's pretty close. Would be a lot cheaper than a new pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the TB 4 in my ibanez ar300, it is a very versatile pickup, it can do whatever style I can think of, it only has 1 drawback : the bottom end is massive but too loose (slower riffs sound brutall! Even on normal tuning)

I really don't understand what's up with people over the JB's midrange honk, the only moment I feel its kinda annoying is when I play clean.. When dirty that honk actually sound amazing and it lets you cut through densest mix
Last edited by bluediamond at Nov 2, 2011,