Hey Pitt, long time no see! I've run into a bit of a predicament and I would like to know if any of you guys have any valuable computer knowledge. Being the smart person I am, I downloaded a rogue keymapping software (that was on the front page of google by the way...) and after running it my system began to run out of control. It started opening window after window of various programs and creating copies of other windows that I had on my screen. In a moment of confusion I hit the power button on my laptop. Now every other time I try to power it up, it plays this annoying noise that you cannot mute/turn down via the volume controls. When I restart it a second time, it brings me to the boot up screen and gives me options that I've never seen before.

It gives me options to run some type of scan on the computer, but it does not ask me for my information which is a bit strange. Now my question is how in the world am I supposed to manually go in and clear this out? I do not have my OS on a disc and everytime I manage to get past the scan and I log in multiple programs open up immediately. I'm hesitant to actually let these programs open because I'm not sure what it will do to my system. So right now I just have it off.

Instead of actually paying 70 dollars to have it "checked out" by a computer store, I'd like some of you guys' opinions of what could be done. I tried many google searches and they all proved fruitless for this type of matter ( maybe it's just how I worded it :P)

The really only important spec is that it is Windows 7.

Any help/Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
1) Could you be mixing us up with somebody with Brad as a first name?

2) Have you tried safe mode?

3) If yes, have you tried system restore?
From the described symptoms, it looks like your Win7 got a virus. Your best bet is to do a system restore to a point before you installed the software or to grab your data and go to Linuxland.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Rogue A/V are the most common virus we get at work. Try safe mode, system restore probably wont work as they are usually stored in your user profile which is unaffected by system restore. If you can (might have to do it in safe mode, (hit F8 at startup)) go to "Run" and type "Msconfig". Click on the startup tab and find the most suspicious looking file. Probably a random bunch of letters like "usdafi4d.exe" or "0.00180984023.exe" stored in either "User\Local settings\Temp" or "All users\...." or "C:\Program data". but could be other places too, and untick it then restart. Now it wont start at startup and you can find the file and delete it. If your lucky that will fix it. After that run malwarebytes antimalware or spybot search and destroy to remove any leftovers. Hope this helps
Quote by Nirvana6722
I tried many google searches and they all proved fruitless for this type of matter ( maybe it's just how I worded it :P)

Jim

Oh cause that worked so well the first time

It's a virus. I had it before
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Format FTW. its always fun starting again
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Quote by darkstar2466
From the described symptoms, it looks like your Win7 got a virus. Your best bet is to do a system restore to a point before you installed the software or to grab your data and go to Linuxland.

And never look back.