kinda got a problem here that Im not sure how to resolve

Our leadsinger wont talk to the audience. for the past 3 gigs we have gone on, played our songs and came off again without her introducing the band, the songs or even thanking anybody once we have played.

each time she has had an excuse like "my throat is soar" or "I have a cold" but should that still mean that she doesnt have to talk....

its making the rest of us feel really awkward on stage aswell because of it, any ideas on how to get her to talk more?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I have no idea how to get HER to do it, but why doesn't anyone else in the band? The singer isn't the only one with a voice box in you band!
Sure, it can be a problem if the lead singer doesn't talk, but it's not the end of the world, the others can talk too.
you have to get someone else to do it. maybe she is nervous? just put a mic infront of yourself. it would be a lot easier if she did it but maybe you have to have a little talk with her too. for the time being bring a mic with you to the next gig
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
sounds like newbie nerves... (and don't take that personal... I've got a lead singer that doesn't talk much, and he's been in the business 30 years, but he's never had to be the "Front Man")

get her a script.. make her talk through the mic during practice... suggest things for her to say...

or.. like the others have said.. somebody else do it...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Does she drink?
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
Does she drink?

LMAO... yea but then she might be saying the wrong things..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
haha booze is how I cure my stage nerves actually... although it doesnt help me at college. I go mad on stage when we are playing a gig with my band but when it gets to college gigs I have no where near the same amount of energy lol

and Im thinking that everyone is right. Ill start getting everyone else to talk instead. Thanks!
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
If she's not going to introduce the band, let someone else do it.

That being said, you really don't necessarily want a lot of pattern between songs. Aside from introducing yourselves, introducing one or two of your songs, introducing the band before the last song and repeating the band name before you leave stage, you don't need a lot.

Having someone say too much is a far bigger problem.
Take a page from the Liam Gallagher school of frontmanning: Mumble incomprehensibly (I guess if you were Mancunian you might understand him?), say "nice one" a lot, sing ****ing drunk, and punch your brother in the face.
You practice it at practice. Even get her to write a script if that helps. Most of the professional performers will constantly say the same things to introduce songs. Just work out the complete running sheet before you get to the gig.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Either come up with things to say at practise, or get someone else to do it, like everyone else has said. Look at Muse for example, the band's supposed front man doesn't really say much, it's the drummer that does the talking.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Oh yeah megadeth does the same thing and everyone hates them for it now.

Dave has explained the he doesn't talk between songs because he doesn't want to waste everybody's time, which I totally get; he let's the music speak for itself.

I swear I remember reading an old interview where he pointed out that your average metal fans are idiots and wouldn't know/care what he was saying, anyway, and just wanted him to play the songs.

Personally, I only like it when certain bands talk between songs. Also, I hate the stupid shit local bands always seem to talk about between songs.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Dave has explained the he doesn't talk between songs because he doesn't want to waste everybody's time, which I totally get; he let's the music speak for itself.

I swear I remember reading an old interview where he pointed out that your average metal fans are idiots and wouldn't know/care what he was saying, anyway, and just wanted him to play the songs.

Personally, I only like it when certain bands talk between songs. Also, I hate the stupid shit local bands always seem to talk about between songs.

I love Bruce's rants during Maiden shows
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by Sleaze Disease

If you listen to some recordings of megadeths older shows Dave talked betweeen songs and he sounded pretty entertaining IMO, and yea I know he stopped because he thinks that he'll waste everyones time.

Also when I saw megadeth live I was highly disappointed because of two things: 1. Dave only said hello and thank you. 2. They played a tou la monde.

Also I get dave for not being like the typical local band and giving out their life story, for example I saw some band full of has-beens who wouldn't shut up about the original Woodstock for a solid 30 minutes, but you could at least say something so the show doesn't seem completely lifeless. I mean in my experience it was just a louder version of the RIP record with bad vocals, and a few songs on the side.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Nov 1, 2011,
Our singer also gets the "frighties". That's why someone else in our band does our modest intro & crowd banter. I've done it, and our drummer has even done it. I'm comfortable with it, but my well is shallow and runs dry quickly. Our drummer is a natural.

We are totally OK with covering that end of things for our singer because we don't want her to freeze up with nerves wasting time with meaningless drivel. We want her to sing.

As previously recommended, insist on some simple stuff and have her do it at practice until she feels comfortable.

Don't be afraid of "canned" material, but don't overdo the cheese factor.

I heard KISS use some crowd banter material back in the early 80's, and I heard Motley Crue use some almost identical lines last summer. And the crowd ate up every bit of it in both instances.
If the whole group banters a bit, it helps a lot, because it'll make the frontman (woman in your case) more comfortable with talking to the audience. I played a (very bad, uncomfortable) gig with a band as their fill-in bassist a couple of months ago and no one in the group was very comfortable talking to the audience. What ended up happening was that we wrote a very loose script, and all of us talked in between songs, because that kept all of us loose. Just wish the music had gone as well as the stage banter...
You should see if you can organise a gig at a party with a lot of her friends there and talk a fair bit yourself. The best kind of stage banter is like a conversation between members with the crowd still involved. DO NOT WRITE A SCRIPT! Just say what the next song is about and go from there.