hey guys, i found this bass

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-126283096-bajo-fender-stratocaster-usa-_JM

Serial: N 215465. it was made in 1993

Don't look at the price, since it's sold in argentina the land of things being more expensive than they should. this price is the one of any MIM p or j bass being sold used around here. the thing is that this bass is an american.

i wanted to get some info on this bass, since i've never seen any "stratocaster" bass... it looks pretty much like a jazz and it has jazz pickups, but i can't finde the specs and the owner seems to have no idea. the good thing is that this one i an American, and seems to be in good condition. the owner would trade it to me for my vt50 and some extra cash, so i could get a high quality bass for little money, at least comparing it with any other MIA Fender around here...

So, first i need some info on this one, and second; considering the compared prices in my country, do you think it would be a good deal? because basically i could sell my VM and since the owner takes one of my amp as a part of the payment, i could end up paying nothing for it. would this be any good? My experience is when i went to buy my bass, although i didn't play any fender, i liked jazz basses the most.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Apparently the only basses Fender made called a Stratocaster bass were made in Korea
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Apparently the only basses Fender made called a Stratocaster bass were made in Korea

yet this says Made in America... is this some kind of fraud? BTW where can i find it's specs? would this be like a Jazz bass?...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
The serial number is American as well.

This is very odd. Maybe email Fender with the details? Not sure what to make of it. Apparently it was made in 1992. The tuners are a little unusual, as is the headstock shape and the bridge pickup placement.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
The serial number is American as well.

This is very odd. Maybe email Fender with the details? Not sure what to make of it. Apparently it was made in 1992. The tuners are a little unusual, as is the headstock shape and the bridge pickup placement.

the owner said it was bought in colombia

<--- yes, I know, we're all like that. i'll see if i can send an e-mail to fender...
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
To the best of my knowledge, there's never been a Stratocaster Bass made by Fender, and the only thing I could turn up on a Google search was one post on Talkbass claiming they were MIK in the nineties.

The serial is correct for both a US made (1992-1993) and a Japanese made (1993-1994) instrument. If it even is a legit Fender neck, the headstock has been modified, and the neck painted. The tuners look like those used on Jazz V's, Zone Basses, etc.

The "Made in USA" logo looks suspicious to me, as every "made in" logo I've ever seen on a Fender is "MADE IN U.S.A.", all caps, no lower case letters. And the label on the mystery bass is missing a space between "made" and "in."

Email Fender and see what they say, but the whole thing looks really fishy to me.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
To the best of my knowledge, there's never been a Stratocaster Bass made by Fender, and the only thing I could turn up on a Google search was one post on Talkbass claiming they were MIK in the nineties.

The serial is correct for both a US made (1992-1993) and a Japanese made (1993-1994) instrument. If it even is a legit Fender neck, the headstock has been modified, and the neck painted. The tuners look like those used on Jazz V's, Zone Basses, etc.

The "Made in USA" logo looks suspicious to me, as every "made in" logo I've ever seen on a Fender is "MADE IN U.S.A.", all caps, no lower case letters. And the label on the mystery bass is missing a space between "made" and "in."

Email Fender and see what they say, but the whole thing looks really fishy to me.

I LOL'd after reading "fishy" and looked at your avatar...

And yes, it seems suspicious to me too, that's why i made this thread... I e-mailed fender with the little story but forgot to paste the pictures... if i don't get an answer in a couple days, i'll resend the mail pasting some picks.

I'll tell you when i get to know something else.
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Don't know, but I would bet my bottom dollar it's fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs.
pinga
Apart from the headstock, the pickguard looks a bit off, the horns look different, and the dots seem to be farther apart from each other at the 12th fret.
I pride myself on my humility.
yeah, it seems that he painted a j bass and bought a strato decal...
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Cb4rabid
Don't know, but I would bet my bottom dollar it's fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs.

Tough one
Quote by Sudaka
yeah, it seems that he painted a j bass and bought a strato decal...

this. Plus the headstock looks.....off.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.