Alright so im applying for 6 university courses of astronomy and i have to write a motivation letter. (it's an additional course for high school students) So i wrote the whole ive always been interested speech, but I thought of popping a joke in there too. Namely, I was considering opening with
"I live on a planet myself, so you can see why astronomy is of personal importance".
The rest of the letter is pretty serious.
Do you think that my joke will help me stand out or will they think of me as stupid?

also; what interesting/funny things did you write in an application letter?
That's droll, but I'd leave it out since you might get a pitmonkey reading it who doesn't get jokes and will just be all "omg r u serious? omg you're stupid, everyone lives on a planet"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I think it's good to add a little humor. I thought your joke was funny, for what it's worth.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Take a blade of grass. On the surface it appears to be a simple form of life yet when examined closely shows an intricacy far beyond what you would expect from such a simple appearance. This perfectly illustrates the beauty of biology and why I want to study it.

That was my opening sentence to my personal statement but i'm crap at English. I was pretty impressed by it but thats because i love myself.

I was going to do internet computing originally & i put this:

“The Internet? We are not interested in it.” A famous quote said by Bill Gates in 1993. Since that point the internet has grown exponentially, something that only a few could predict but most would not imagine. Computing and ICT are something that is present in everyday life and with technology advancing at an amazing rate they are set to become the future. The internet is an amazingly powerful tool which I would like to study to help me better my future

I just googled something along the lines of "internet quotes" and found one which i could rattle a couple of opening sentences off with. Through the same sort of method i found this bad boy:

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.” A quote by Archimedes which I think sums up my reasoning to go to university. Given the correct education and environment, I believe I will go onto achieve great things

Just make it as cringe worthy as possible and sound really self important.

They are going to read 1000s of cheesy personal statements, just add a couple of bits they wont have seen. Your joke is pretty much bang on.
Opening with a joke is always a good idea in this kind of thing. It might not make you stand out particularly, but it won't hurt.
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by vagelier
Alright so im applying for 6 university courses of astronomy and i have to write a motivation letter. (it's an additional course for high school students) So i wrote the whole ive always been interested speech, but I thought of popping a joke in there too. Namely, I was considering opening with
"I live on a planet myself, so you can see why astronomy is of personal importance".
The rest of the letter is pretty serious.
Do you think that my joke will help me stand out or will they think of me as stupid?

also; what interesting/funny things did you write in an application letter?

That's an awful opening line.

Google the student room, there's loads about University applications.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.