So I'm trying to enhance my solos and get out of my same old same old pentatonic structure so I thought maybe I should try a gospely-kind of song. I wanna try and solo around this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGXN-ujjIak

I'm asking for help around the 2:12-2:50 area
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
I think part of the reason you're stuck in a pentatonic box is that you're still thinking that you have to play a specific scale. That limits your note choice and gets you thinking primarily in simple linear patterns. To get out of that box, you want to first think about what specific sound you want your solo to have.

For a simpler, more voice-oriented song, I might try to emulate the vocal melody in my solo. I would figure out that melody and then look at where I might add my own flair to the piece. For instance, I might decide that I want to start with a bend into the first note to get the listener's attention immediately. I might then stick to the vocal melody, but throw in small trills, slides, or short, rapid scalar runs between important notes to emphasize chord shifts and to add interest. Depending on what kind of sound I want, I might stick to the simple major/minor scales or I might try something a little jazzier and use some chromatics in between notes.

Those choices are all just from a single, simple melodic approach. You don't want to limit yourself to a single scale, since that has a tendency to lock you into a pattern or box. To get out, all you have to do is to realize that you have a ton of choices that you can make about your playing and to practice taking different options. Listen to what you want to play in your head and then learn how to move that sound from your mind to your hands.
+1 to what Geldin says
except you shouldnt interpret from that post that you shouldnt learn scales, learn them all, all over the neck, they wont limit you they will actually help you express yourself in a more fluid and richer way.

Simplified advice: you might want to look a little bit into theory and developing your ear.

For the time being i would say a G major scale starting from the 12th fret would sound good. (i suck at recognizing chords by ear and i havent actually tried soloing to this song , but in my head something tells me it would work)

If not just try note per note :P
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 1, 2011,
Struggled a bit myself before with getting out of the pentatonic box. My advice is, as others have suggested, bone up on your music theory.
However to be a bit more specific, learn modes as they will help you greatly with getting different textures to songs/solos and generally making yourself sound different. Of certain chord progressions that you're soloing over you can sometimes use more than one mode, or blend modes together. Learn them and a huge door will open to you musically, all you have to do then is walk through and find what works for you, get some backing tracks of random chord progressions tailored for specific modes to practice over, eventually you'll be able to pick up by ear what will work and what won't work for whatever you're playing over.

With regards to the song in question it sounds to me like a couple of different modes would work for it, it'd just be up to you to work out what they are and what each of them brings to the table (easy way of putting it, if the solo sounds light or dark/happy or sad).
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15