How frequently do you guys clean your guitars? I usually wipe it down from top to bottom till there are no swirl marks on the finish. Is this good, or just being overly paranoid? Its a very irritating thing to spend more time cleaning than playing
I usually give it a decent clean when I change strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I always wipe my guitar with a cloth after I'm done playing for the day. When I change my strings, which is once per 2-3 months, I usually use fretboard cleaner and body finish cleaner.

On every 3rd time (2-3 times a year) I also use oil on my fretboard. I should maybe start using the oil a little much frequently since I now have a Gibson with a more demanding rosewood fretboard.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I might when I change strings, which is every 2-3 months. I'll wipe down the neck once in awhile so it doesn't feel cruddy. It's a guitar, not a surgical instrument

EDIT: Back in the high school band days (when I played C Tuba and Bb cornet) nobody really "cleaned" their instrument. And brass/woodwind instruments are wayyyyyy nastier than anything you play with just your hands. I mean there's no practical reason to excessively clean something that's going to get just as 'dirty' after a few minutes of use.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 31, 2011,
I clean mine when I change the strings, about once a week (to me the sound of fresh strings is worth the $5 a week, screw waiting months). Though it varies from a quick wipe down to all out cleaning, depending on if I'm in a hurry or not.
i clean the strings every other time i play and apply tone ease spray or ghs fast fret. I also wipe down the fretboard every other time or every time depending on how bad the finger cheese is. the guitar gets a wipe if the finger prints are bad but definitely gets a wipe every time i change strings.
I clean my guitar when I change strings which is twice a month. I wipe everything down, polish frets and check the setup if Im changing gauges which is fairly often cause I switch what styles I want to play pretty often. I set my gear up so it can chance genres as often as I do. I might wipe off fingerprints before a show but thats it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
whenever you change your strings is plenty of cleaning, it really doesnt matter how often you clean it though, as long as your not using oil on the fretboard all the time you'll be fine, using lemon oil or fretboard cleaner can be bad for the guitar in the long run because it will dry out the fretboard. But a little bit every once in a while is fine. So clean it whenever it looks dirty i guess.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
i never do really. maybe once a year. i do nothing on a regular basis. change strings 4-6 months, at that time oil the board, dress/polish the frets, and string her back up.

i would change more often but i have 11 guitars that i need to keep up and strung and cleaned.

my compulsiveness is however is when i get a new (to me) uesd guitar that i plan on keeping and not flipping. i take all of the strings off, oil the board, dress/polish frets, pull all plastics up knobs off, buff with 3M fine cut rubbing compound (the same stuff you can use to polish your car, but this stuff is like $15 for maybe 6oz) to get it off of, steel wool the hardware if there are signs of pitting, and restring with 11's or 12's, do a set up and good to go, got all evidence of the past owner off and it feels like mine. up until i do that it doesn't feel like mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Every time I change strings or a part on my guitar I completely disassemble it and completely clean the neck, body, and hardware as well as polishing the frets. When I am done unless there is a lot of dents or paint missing you cant tell the guitar didnt just arrive from a factory.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
buff with 3M fine cut rubbing compound (the same stuff you can use to polish your car, but this stuff is like $15 for maybe 6oz) to get it off of, steel wool the hardware if there are signs of pitting

I'll remember to never buy a guitar from you
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by lucky1978
I clean mine when I change the strings, about once a week (to me the sound of fresh strings is worth the $5 a week, screw waiting months). Though it varies from a quick wipe down to all out cleaning, depending on if I'm in a hurry or not.

you change them every week! you must be the only one haha
Irons
Quote by Flux'D
I'll remember to never buy a guitar from you

i should have stated not on nitro. that gets the dirt and the grime off and leaves a perfect finish. its really a minor touch. hasn't hurt any of the twenty so guitars that i have done it to. as long as you are carefull about it and know the guitar, you aren't going to wreck anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/