Hey guys, I've got an Ashdown MAG C115-300 combo amp. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ashdown-mag-c115-300-evo-ii-307w-1x15-bass-combo-amp/430934000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=554518828)

I've heard of people taking the head off of the cabinet and making them separate entities. I'm interested in doing this for portability and expand-ability's sake. What would be the dangers of doing this, and has anyone tried this before?
All your base are belong to us.
yep that is fine to do. just build a new head shell to fit the amp part.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You might find someone to trade you the head version + cash and buy a new cab. That's a pretty nice combo to hack apart. *Usually* I see this done on way old 80's-90's combos that had really good wattage but were stuck to crappy or heavy bodies, or guitar amps where they wanted the wattage through a 4x12
As long as you are good with woodworking tools and know how to rebuild the amp cabinet so that it doesn't look like crap, you'll be fine. About the only risk is that once you remove the amplifier section, it may change the acoustics of the speaker cabinet section.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
True, I just meant if he isn't or is under a budget, it might have more resale value as is and he could find a head version and cab for the cost of time, effort and nice supplies to truly refinish the head and cab into something worth looking at. Of course if he doesn't care or can do it by all means ignore me. I'm just the devils advocate