So, I am just coming back into guitar after a two year break. Basically, I have to start over with learning because I had only been playing a couple of years. Now, I really just need some help finding somewhere to start. I found the 'guide to all techniques' but a few songs that will help me start relearning the basics would be nice. Any ideas?
Honestly, pick up Rocksmith if you can. It's difficult as a beginner, but it will build up certain skills FAST!
Quote by Minivirus2
Honestly, pick up Rocksmith if you can. It's difficult as a beginner, but it will build up certain skills FAST!

AN ADBOT!

KILL HIM!
Sure thing man.

First take and read my FREE ebook:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Read each chapter it will help.

Especially the first 2 it will help you recover faster

Also you should devote 20-30 minutes each day to practicing one of these exercises for developing your finger strength

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/guitar-finger-exercises/

good luck !
Why is it that everyone here other than me has telepathy and immediately has the best suggestion for someone without asking an important question:

What do you want to do with your guitar? - do you want to just play around? learn a few songs? get good? get awesome? become a guitar god? -

Imo only after knowing that, one can offer proper advice.
Quote by Slashiepie
Why is it that everyone here other than me has telepathy and immediately has the best suggestion for someone without asking an important question:

What do you want to do with your guitar? - do you want to just play around? learn a few songs? get good? get awesome? become a guitar god? -

Imo only after knowing that, one can offer proper advice.

Is it going to be a hobby? Do you want to play in a band? What music do you want to play? Do you want to just play with your friends for fun?

Offering advice without knowing these things is like offering a kid a piece of paper when they need a pencil.
Quote by Slashiepie
What do you want to do with your guitar? - do you want to just play around? learn a few songs? get good? get awesome? become a guitar god?

i wanna be a guitar god... oh wait i already am... jkjk but if you played for several years then you should be able to pick up a guitar and start off where you left off
While I have no doubt that Rocksmith would quickly ease him back into playing, since he already knew how to play beforehand, I'm not exactly sure that that would be the best route.
I doubt rocksmith would be good for me. Especially considering I don't have a game console. I mostly just want to play for fun. I'm interested in classic rock and some modern stuff. But mostly classic rock, jazz, and blues.
Quote by Mr. Lagato
Ever try guitar hero?

shut up
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's quite a big advantage coming back to guitar after a couple of years break - that is, you can effectively learn from scratch again but learn properly without having to unlearn bad habits. But because you played before, you don't have the initial curve of being completely unable to play anything.

As Shalishiepie said, it depends what you want to do with the guitar. I know apajr seems to spend every post promoting the ebook, and while it's annoying (and as a result I have just ignored it), the principles he appears to be promoting are important (relaxation etc.)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 3, 2011,
Quote by Hudson12
Is it going to be a hobby? Do you want to play in a band? What music do you want to play? Do you want to just play with your friends for fun?

Offering advice without knowing these things is like offering a kid a piece of paper when they need a pencil.

exactly :P
thanks for adding those questions!
^^ all those questions are meaningless. Like asking a 15 year old what he wants to do for a living. He has no idea yet, ya morons. All he needs to practice is what he sucks at or is rusty with.

Bad with chords or barre chords? Practice. Bad with bends? Practice. Hand coordination and finger strength? Practice.

Practice what needs improvement, get better at guitar, that is all.
I recently just came back from 2 years of not playing about 6 months ago, start of from scratch again, open chords and basic riffing for a few days (maybe up to a week depending on how easily it come back to you) then just ease into your more advanced stuff. Took me probably a month and a bit and is say I was fairly close to where I was when I left, you will be surprised how easy everything feels
I played for a year when i was 13 didnt play for 7 years and picked up my guitar again for the first time when i was 20. My advice to you would be go slow so you learn everything correctly and stay motivated.

I don't know how old you are but for me the best thing about starting up again later on is that i was more mature and could take guitar much more seriously. Also the internet didn't have nearly as much on guitar in 2002 as it did in 2010.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Nov 3, 2011,