i was wondering if anyone could share any links to threads or outside websites that could help me learn some basics.
notes on the fretboard, how chords are formed and named, etc...
also i wish to teach myself how to read music. not just tabs, which i can already do...

thank you!

Edit: no i would not like to know about modes at this point.
Last edited by Dillon_Kennedy at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by Dillon_Kennedy
Edit: no i would not like to know about modes at this point.

Why not?
Quote by mdc
Why not?

He doesn't know how chords are formed or the notes of his fretboard. He probably doesn't know the intervals of the major scale or what the key signatures are. You really think he needs to be concerned with modal music at this point?

No he does not. He's starting in the right place, he doesn't need to be unnecessarily burdened with being concerned about friggin modes, of all things.
Quote by stratdax
He doesn't know how chords are formed or the notes of his fretboard. He probably doesn't know the intervals of the major scale or what the key signatures are. You really think he needs to be concerned with modal music at this point?

No he does not. He's starting in the right place, he doesn't need to be unnecessarily burdened with being concerned about friggin modes, of all things.

It was sarcasm. Thought it might go undetected tbh.
Quote by mdc
It was sarcasm. Thought it might go undetected tbh.

Too subtle for me. Should have picked up on it though.

Anyway, Dillon, the three websites that people linked are all good places to start. I would work through them all - they basically all describe the same information, but just from different ways of looking at it. Out of the three sites, you'll piece the information together.
Biggest advice I could ever give would be through any practice you do, TRAIN YOUR EAR. So many people don't do this. Pick the easiest melodies at first, and figure out where to play it. You don't have to know what the note is or a ****ing chord to do that. I can't stress how much a good ear helps.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent