I'm russian. And I have a lot of russians in my online contacts. But I never learned to type in russian, so I can either

1) Type in russian with english letters, which I never do because it looks like crap

2) Use an online translator

3) Type in english

I use number. 2 with people who have poor english skills, I never use number one. So mostly number 3.

Now, the reason I'm writing this, is because some of my contacts feel offended that I'm writing to them in english, while my native language is russian. I type in english because I don't plan on using russian language much in my life, so I generally want as much practice as I can afford, and I also like english more than russian.

So why does this happen? Why are people offended by me typing in english?
Probably because they feel you're betraying a little bit of your heritage by not using the tongue associated with your country.
I say don't mind them though, type and write in whatever language you want
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
They're jelly?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Zeletros

So why does this happen?

such is life in soviet russia
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7

This.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
yeah I would think that they feel like you are forgetting your heritage and that you are accepting the "evil" western heritage.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Почему тебе не нравится русский язык?

I do like it

I just like english more

Quote by sglover34479
Is russian a hard language? I've always thought it was be neat to learn.

Unless your native language is from the same language group as russian, then it's a very hard language

Quote by bluekirby7

I live in a country that's CLOSE to Russia but ISN'T Russia, native language here is Estonian anyway. I speak in english to estonians as much as I do to russians.
Last edited by Zeletros at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I've been studying Russian for a couple years, I'm still pretty bad at it.

Want some practice?

Add me in MSN/Gtalk/Skype

Quote by Zeletros
Now, the reason I'm writing this, is because some of my contacts feel offended that I'm writing to them in english, while my native language is russian. I type in english because I don't plan on using russian language much in my life, so I generally want as much practice as I can afford, and I also like english more than russian.

So why does this happen? Why are people offended by me typing in english?

What I've noticed is when people want to sharpen language skills they always end up talking to people who want to talk in a different language.

Why don't you ask them why they're offended?
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Quote by DoGaLoG
What I've noticed is when people want to sharpen language skills they always end up talking to people who want to talk in a different language.

Why don't you ask them why they're offended?

Because asking about why they are offended usually offends them.

Usually it's some shit-ass excuse.

I just asked a random girl, she said it's disrespecting and strange because I'm russian. But why? Just cause I'm russian.
Maybe they don't speak english as well as you do and find it easier to communicate in Russian.

I'm surprised that you're actually trying to avoid using your native language. Everyone in my family always tells me to keep practicing all the languages I know, because knowing even a useless language like Russian might come in handy some day. Also, if I didn't speak Russian, I would alienate myself from my entire family.
Pay no attention to assholes like that. I hate when people act pretentious to me cause my Arabic isn't that good. I can talk in whatever language I'm comfortable with, **** off.
Quote by institutions
I heard if you speak english to the wrong russians, you can get up to 15 years in the harshest Siberian prison

Dude.

Seriously...

Quote by sashki
Maybe they don't speak english as well as you do and find it easier to communicate in Russian.

I'm surprised that you're actually trying to avoid using your native language. Everyone in my family always tells me to keep practicing all the languages I know, because knowing even a useless language like Russian might come in handy some day. Also, if I didn't speak Russian, I would alienate myself from my entire family.

They speak it well enough to understand what I'm saying.

Also, before I begin ALWAYS TYPING IN ENGLISH, I ask whether they are OK with me typing in english and whether they understand it well enough. And yet after a month or so I become a major "offender"
Last edited by Zeletros at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by sglover34479
Is russian a hard language? I've always thought it was be neat to learn.

I just started learning Russian. It's pretty difficult and I still barely know anything, but it's a great language and is quite fun to learn. From what I've heard, it seems like Russian is sort of middle-of-the-road in terms of difficulty compared to other languages. For comparison, I've heard (and it seems to me from what little I've been exposed to) that Spanish is one of the easier ones and Arabic and Chinese are among the hardest. That being said, I don't really know much about languages, so this is all second-hand info.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Its a social thing. Russia is going through a phase of really extreme nationalism right now. People there really are convinced that they live in the best country in the world with the best culture and the best language. Its actually quite scary what's going on there right now. So that's why they get pissed off when you use that barbarian tongue to talk to them
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by DZCunuck
Its a social thing. Russia is going through a phase of really extreme nationalism right now. People there really are convinced that they live in the best country in the world with the best culture and the best language. Its actually quite scary what's going on there right now. So that's why they get pissed off when you use that barbarian tongue to talk to them

This. Also, people just expect you to use their native language when you're socializing with them. I go to a university with a large Chinese population. Even though they are engulfed in American culture and lifestyle, they use only Chinese to communicate with each other. They all speak good English, too.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Because asking about why they are offended usually offends them.

Usually it's some shit-ass excuse.

I just asked a random girl, she said it's disrespecting and strange because I'm russian. But why? Just cause I'm russian.

Ah..

Maybe you're just talking to really stuck up Russians?

I can't imagine why it would be offensive to anyone and I think it's great you are dedicated to perfecting another language.

I worked with a Kurdish man who always speaks in English around us (British) lot, unless he was asked otherwise, and even refused to take his driving test in his own language because he wants to improve his English. I've also known him to speak in English to other Kurdish people and only a few (racist) ones were bothered by it.

Maybe they're a tad racist/snobby?
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Quote by DoGaLoG
Ah..

Maybe you're just talking to really stuck up Russians?

I can't imagine why it would be offensive to anyone and I think it's great you are dedicated to perfecting another language.

I worked with a Kurdish man who always speaks in English around us (British) lot, unless he was asked otherwise, and even refused to take his driving test in his own language because he wants to improve his English. I've also known him to speak in English to other Kurdish people and only a few (racist) ones were bothered by it.

Maybe they're a tad racist/snobby?

My guess is that they're butthurn nationalistic patriots