I've been messing with harmonics on my acoustic guitar (fingerpicking). However, no matter how slowly/carefully I pull them off, they're always barely audible. Whenever I hear guitarists like Tommy Emmanuel play, he makes the harmonic sound so loud so effortlessly. Any tips to help me with my harmonics? (Mostly working on natural harmonics)
ggg1 ggg3

You have to put your finger exactly above the metal fret thingy (I don't know the english word... the thing that separate the frets from eachother) and your finger should barely be touching the string. You should be able to keep your hand at the same spot even after you plucked the harmonic. New strings help as well.
Quote by Azhark
You have to put your finger exactly above the metal fret thingy (I don't know the english word... the thing that separate the frets from eachother) and your finger should barely be touching the string. You should be able to keep your hand at the same spot even after you plucked the harmonic. New strings help as well.

I already know how to play them -_-
ggg1 ggg3

You have to do it correct or it wont work. It could be your guitar then. I also recon that harmonics sound more clear and loud the closer to the bridge you pluck them.
Dude, one day I played on my friend's accoustic guitar (steel strings).

He placed the thickest strings he could find, I think they are 1.3 or something.

When I played the harmonic, it was way louder than my accoustic guitar (nylon).
It was actually surprisingly awesome!

The thicker the strings, the louder the sound will be. Hope that hélps!
Quote by vitorlp
Dude, one day I played on my friend's accoustic guitar (steel strings).

He placed the thickest strings he could find, I think they are 1.3 or something.

When I played the harmonic, it was way louder than my accoustic guitar (nylon).
It was actually surprisingly awesome!

The thicker the strings, the louder the sound will be. Hope that hélps!

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll look into getting thicker strings.

But do any of you have any technical advice?
ggg1 ggg3

are you playing a laminate guitar, by any chance? my harmonics are loudest on a resonant guitar, which generally means all solid.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Release your fretting hand really quickly after plucking. It should almost be instantaneous. Also, try picking closer to the bridge as opposed to towards the neck. It usually comes out a little better.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks everyone! btw patticake i'm playing an old beat up nylon string guitar, if that helps :S
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by captivate
Release your fretting hand really quickly after plucking. It should almost be instantaneous. Also, try picking closer to the bridge as opposed to towards the neck. It usually comes out a little better.

This.
It'll make it 12397640176491 times louder.
I exaggerated a bit...
12397640176490 times louder
Quote by captivate

Holy crap, thanks for this awesome advice!!!

Quote by Azhark
From my own experience, harmonics sound louder on steel stringed guitars.

I'll be getting a steel string guitar soon to see for myself
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Holy crap, thanks for this awesome advice!!!

I'll be getting a steel string guitar soon to see for myself

No problem. I would actually very much agree. It's much more difficult to get clean harmonics out of nylon stringed guitars. The lower tension of the strings means that it is more sensitive to changes in vibration.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.