Hey guys,
I have been in the market for a new amp lately. at first I was looking at the Marshall JVM 410C, but it turns out the clean tones are meh (the dirty ones are great). So I was thinking about getting 2 amps, one for heavy one for clean. I'm looking for an almost chorusy type clean (without chorus). What I mean is I need something that really lets the harmonics shine through.

Any ideas?
Roland JC120

/thread

Depends how much you want to spend really. Lots of great clean amps out there.

Off the top of my head...
Fender Twin/Super reverb
Victoria makes some great Fender clones
Mesa Lonestar
u need a fender pro jr (make sure its one of the newer ones) the one i have has so much tube rattle and 60hz cycle hum that it just doesnt make me want to play it. Try out the the fender amps, loads of clean shimmer.
AC30 w/ chorus pedal.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by AdamnEve
Hey guys,
I have been in the market for a new amp lately. at first I was looking at the Marshall JVM 410C, but it turns out the clean tones are meh (the dirty ones are great). So I was thinking about getting 2 amps, one for heavy one for clean. I'm looking for an almost chorusy type clean (without chorus). What I mean is I need something that really lets the harmonics shine through.

Any ideas?

Budget?
Carvin XV series. Or X100b series. Both have amazing cleans and you might even sell the marshall when you hear their overdrive. Great amps
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Since you mentioned Chorus, the Roland Jazz Chorus immediately springs to mind. But in terms of amps that generally have good cleans, you're pobably going to want high wattage for the headroom. The Mesa Lonestar on 100w (which is how I run mine) is also a good option. And you can't go wrong with a Fender Twin. I've also been quite impressed with clean tones on some of the Dr Z amps (particularly the EZG-50).
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
I prefer Solid State to Tube for cleans personally.

I generally don't, but I do agree that the Roland Jazz Chorus is a great amp (despite being solid state), especially for cleans. There are some solid state amps that are just done well and that's one of them.
as its been stated many times before the JC120 if you want solid state. blackface twin if you want tube.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
JC-120 or Fender Blackface Twin.

Now, it's /thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
JC-120 or Fender Blackface Twin.

Now, it's /thread.

I my twin.
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd take a BF Twin over a JC-120 any day too. The JC-120 is a cool cleans amp but it aint no BF Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to the blackface, doesn't get better than that. Still chasing one for myself.
Quote by Cathbard
I'd take a BF Twin over a JC-120 any day too. The JC-120 is a cool cleans amp but it aint no BF Twin.

i was led to believe the jc-120 is kindof a one trick poney, even when it comes to the cleans.

i was told it was good for jazz, but NOTHING else. (i know i know, JAZZ chorus.... but still)
Quote by 00_hns_00
i was led to believe the jc-120 is kindof a one trick poney, even when it comes to the cleans.

i was told it was good for jazz, but NOTHING else. (i know i know, JAZZ chorus.... but still)

There's a kind of big blues/rock guy named Butch Armstrong around here who uses one. Definitely not just for jazz. The name is kind of misleading.
The JC-120 is a one trick pony in so much as they only do cleans (the distortion on them is atrocious) but those cleans have been used for just about every genre that ever has a clean sound. They even work quite well as an acoustic amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The JC-120 is a one trick pony in so much as they only do cleans (the distortion on them is atrocious) but those cleans have been used for just about every genre that ever has a clean sound. They even work quite well as an acoustic amp.

don't forget it can be a keyboard amp in a pinch too (so i have heard anyway). we have an older one with the old CE-1 chorus circuit it in, it seems people neglect to mention that the JC-120 is setup with a very badass stereo chorus pedal... or maybe that is what people mean by "JC-120 does awesome cleans".

i don't really feel the JC-120 pigeonholes your tone at all, i just saw Battles the other night and Ian Williams used it in his setup (which is a very dynamic, eclectic and demanding setup for his purposes).

that being said, i generally prefer my music man amps to a JC-120.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae