I've been writing some music just on my gutiar that I don't feel fits into any of the bands I happen to be in right now. Is it possible/encouraged/discouraged for me to go out and get a few gigs (small gigs, like at a coffee house or something) and just play my guitar pieces? They don't have lyrics or any other instruments to them. Would this sound odd or attract an audience at all in your opinion?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
If they let you play and you're happy with your playing, play on. If you think you're going to suck or they think you will, there's probably a reason.
Depends on wheter or not you can make it interesting for the audience. You can't just go and strum basic rhythm lines and expect them to like it. Also the absence of singing usually scares off the majority of an average audience.

But then again, I don't much care about the audiences likes or dislikes compared to my own taste, and sometimes do purely instrumental stuff. It appeals to other guitarists, but seldom the average people.
Quote by Wallied
Depends on wheter or not you can make it interesting for the audience. You can't just go and strum basic rhythm lines and expect them to like it. Also the absence of singing usually scares off the majority of an average audience.

But then again, I don't much care about the audiences likes or dislikes compared to my own taste, and sometimes do purely instrumental stuff. It appeals to other guitarists, but seldom the average people.

True. The stuff I've made so far pretty much sounds fine on one guitar, it's usually notey (not shreddy, but not just chords either) and some of em sound pretty emotional. I'd do it much more for myself than the audience, but I'd want them to enjoy listening as well.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
I'd come check it out. Sure would be better than if I played all my originals, just the guitar part
Quote by chriscobonham
I'd come check it out. Sure would be better than if I played all my originals, just the guitar part

I totally didn't realize that was you right away bro. Thanks
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
People love that sort of stuff man. I did this to provide background music for weddings for a while.

Also it's different than just a regular band, and the places that you advertise at will likely find it convenient as going solo doesn't take up any space hardly.