HI! I'm [insert name here] and I'm new.

I've started, or more accurately joined, a band recently, as a singer/rhythm guitarist. What gear, amps, effects etc. do I need so far?

At the moment, I've got a small Orange, which I'll be trading in for a 20 watt sometime later. I haven't got any effects, but I'm looking to get either a Memory Boy delay or a Holy Grail reverb.

My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, not sure what model it is though (the tone pot lid's come off, and some knobs seem to be scratchy when turned too fast). The pickups are humbuckers, I'm guesing.

As you can tell, I'm not exactly sure what sound I'm looking for at the moment.

Thanks
Jam for a bit with your band. See what kind of music you end up playing. See how your amp sounds stocked up against other stuff. Go from there. There's no default answer... one of the funnest things about musicianship is upgrading your gear
what's your budget and location (affects prices and availability- country will do, we don't want your address!)?

a little more info on what gear you already have would be useful too- depending on the model, the epi might be completely fine for gigging. I'm guessing the orange is a beginner amp, but I could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
by the tone pot lid do you mean the knob?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget and location (affects prices and availability- country will do, we don't want your address!)?

a little more info on what gear you already have would be useful too- depending on the model, the epi might be completely fine for gigging. I'm guessing the orange is a beginner amp, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the Orange I've got at the moment is a bedroom amp, but I'm upgrading it, so it doesn't really matter. I'm sick of Marshalls.

I live in Australia! Preferably, nothing under under a thousand, I just want a bigger amp, and not too many effects.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
by the tone pot lid do you mean the knob?

Yeah. The pickup selector switch is faulty as well, so mine is always set to treble.
What kind of mic's do you have? A good vocal mic (if you're singing) and a good instrument mic is essential for starting/joining a new band
Quote by lucky1978
What kind of mic's do you have? A good vocal mic (if you're singing) and a good instrument mic is essential for starting/joining a new band

For vocals, I've got a Shure Beta. For the amp, also a Shure, this time a condenser mic.
A guitar that works, an amp (size doesn't really matter, you could mic it up), a mic for vocals, a mic stand, a PA system would probably come in handy, a mic for your amp if you plan to mic it too. And honestly? A van really helps.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
A guitar that works, an amp (size doesn't really matter, you could mic it up), a mic for vocals, a mic stand, a PA system would probably come in handy, a mic for your amp if you plan to mic it too. And honestly? A van really helps.

Yeah, I've pretty much managed to get all that (Except the van. I'm 16, and driving is truning out to be harder than I thought :/ ).
The van isnt essential as long as you have understanding friends/parents
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
A guitar that works, an amp (size doesn't really matter, you could mic it up), a mic for vocals, a mic stand, a GOOD PA system would probably come in handy, a mic for your amp if you plan to mic it too. And honestly? A van really helps.

Fixed. What good is making something louder if it sounds worst than before.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah, I haven't got a P.A. at the moment. The other guitar player in my band is sorting it out, I think.
Word of the wise, Thomanns mixer failed on me twice before I went with a different company.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
kinda seems like you are putting the cart before the horse. most players try to get gear that will at least work in a band situation before they try to get a band.

really need to know what you are planning on playing to get you the best answer. right tools for the job.
Quote by monwobobbo
kinda seems like you are putting the cart before the horse. most players try to get gear that will at least work in a band situation before they try to get a band.

really need to know what you are planning on playing to get you the best answer. right tools for the job.

+100 Get situated. Get transportation for your band AND the gear sorted out. Actually get gear that works before trying to play (instruments that stay in tune and sounds alright, decent sounding amps, good mics for anyone that needs them, etc.). You might not have to bring a PA even though it's good to have one on hand. Bring your own mics though. Try to decide who will play what roll in the band. Decide if you want backup vocals. Decide the style of music (rock, blues, etc.). You don't sound very decided and established on this endeavor. The more you know about what you are going to do, the more we can tell you how to do it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Only Angels
Yeah, the Orange I've got at the moment is a bedroom amp, but I'm upgrading it, so it doesn't really matter. I'm sick of Marshalls.

I live in Australia! Preferably, nothing under under a thousand, I just want a bigger amp, and not too many effects.

what type of music?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
along with alll the stuff about mics and PAs make your amp can be heard over the drummer. My first band practiced for 8 months before our first show; i can't stress enough how important band practice is if you want to do it right.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
My first band practiced for 8 months before our first show; i can't stress enough how important band practice is if you want to do it right.

A million times this. Work shifts permitting, my band practices anything up to 6 hours a week, and that's not counting the many hours we all spend practicing individually at home as well. It shows though when you put the effort in.
Incidentally, when I say my band practices up to 6 hours, I mean actual playing practice, not half hour of playing plus loads of drinking/dicking about etc. We plan our practices in advance, and play pretty much non stop without breaks.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
A million times this. Work shifts permitting, my band practices anything up to 6 hours a week, and that's not counting the many hours we all spend practicing individually at home as well. It shows though when you put the effort in.
Incidentally, when I say my band practices up to 6 hours, I mean actual playing practice, not half hour of playing plus loads of drinking/dicking about etc. We plan our practices in advance, and play pretty much non stop without breaks.

You impress me.

I never thaugt this would have been possible. We cant play two song straight without dicking.
Quote by jukejointjohnny

+1 band practice is a must, I practice 2-3 times a week for 4-6 hours at a time. This will make you really tight as a band. You don't have to shread guitar/bass/drums, but if your band is tight good things will happen.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nice dude I my band had exactly a month to write and perfect a 30 minute set. It was.... rough haha. But since then we have practiced it to perfection. but to TS, I would stress that if you are serious about gigging, I would make sure that whatever gear you get complements your other players. I have been the guy with the 120 watt half stack playing with the other guy rocking a spider 3 30 watter, and I have been the other way around. It is important that everyone can be heard, and that the stuff sounds good together. But yeah, you have lots of stuff to figure out before you even need to worry about gear.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.